Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Really bummed... (accident 964 RWB)

Just finished up about 6 months of non-stop work building my RWB. Literally wrapped up about 2 weeks ago and decided to do a family road trip to Oregon this past weekend.

These 2 shots are 20 minutes prior to the accident, on the Oregon coast. My son is 12 years old.

So 20 minutes later, we have a CHP officer trailing us for a few miles. My wife was following in her Cayenne behind me and behind the CHP truck. My wife went on to later say she saw the lady officer constantly "rubber necking" the oncoming cars looking at them for cell phone usage, etc.

Anyway, in Crescent City, I stopped at cross walk for 2 folks to cross. And then the CHP officer hit us at 35mph. It pushed the car forward about 10-15 feet.

I hopped out very fast thinking the car might catch on fire, and got my son out of there quick. He was actually quite confused by what had happened. We were both in shock, and I was holding my neck from the impact.

The officer's truck was leaking radiator fluid and her ramming bar thing was all bent up. She was in shock too, and said that she stopped looking at the road to observe oncoming drivers using their cell phones. She said she was really sorry. She did move her truck quite quickly to the side of the road, I left my car where it landed for several minutes but at her insistence she made me pull it to the side of the road.

She called her sarge to report the issue, and he said he would be there within 30 minutes. When he arrived, he seemed to blame me for moving my car (didn't know she told me to move it), and started asking me weird questions like did I know she was behind me, how long was I stopped before the impact happened, etc. I said I think there is video on the truck so let's just watch that. The folks from the cross walk ended up giving me a video testimonial observing that she wasn't look at all when she impacted us.

The impact speed was determined to be around 35 mph, and there were no braking lines from the officer. I ended up going to the hospital with my son. There has been some follow up which I don't want to get into until the case is fully resolved, but just wanted to post pics here of the damage. Will keep people posted on the outcome.

Really sucks to have this happen, but I am really glad we both survived of course - that is the main thing... of course I was gutted about the car. Note that the impact caused my 996 seat to crack! :banghead:

Old 07-05-2016, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Woolery

Garage
I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. MAKE SURE you get as much evidence to support your case as is possible. Make sure you get a copy of the CHP onboard video ASAP (to ensure it doesn't get "lost").

http://www.garagewoolery.com
Old 07-06-2016, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Oh that's a bummer. At least the driver admits to what happened. If you've got the pedestrians version on your side it sounds airtight. Be ready for whichever insurance handles the claim to declare it totaled, which will mean a salvage title if you buy it back, and subsequent lowering of value. I don't really know how that works anymore as it's been years since I've lived in CA and done an insurance claim, but it's worth getting your ducks in a row...
Old 07-06-2016, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Glad to hear u and your boy are ok,that was a hard hit.I would be nervous that they may try to say its somehow your fault.I would contact a attorney just in cace.u just never know in this day and age...BTW.car looked *****in before the total avoidable accident

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thank God you and your son are ok. So sorry about your RAUH-Welt BEGRIFF. Love those. Best of luck getting the car fixed. From the sound of it you have great determination, it will come in handy.

John
1989 Carrera 4 Coupe
Old 07-06-2016, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the support!! Appreciate it very much. We just found out my son has a concussion so working through that right now...
Old 07-06-2016, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
That sucks but at least you are OK and your son will be soon.

Concidently on my way home, on an highway, I was following a Police on an Harley and in bumper to bumper traffic. He was rubber necking every car he pass to see if they were on an held hand phone or not wearing a seatbelt...

Also while we are not allowed to use those (rightly so) our Leo in cars, are "googling" their database on 24" display fitted on the passenger side seat. If I had a dollar for every time I saw one of them crossing the center line while googling I could retire. Apparently the had specialize training so they can do that safely

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-06-2016, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

****ing cops will lies their teeth off, at least you have video and witnesses. That sucks.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Commendable that they are looking for cell phone users - those would be people that hit you at 50mph in a frontal collision.

But of course, you can't take the eyes off the road ahead of you. Seeing a white car on a grey day like that out of an SUV while distracted may be an issue ...

I am glad you are building your case. Disappointed to hear the CHP would try to start spinning this in a way to give you at least partial fault. A rear end at ped crossing is a no brainer. Would have been better to be hit by a private citizen - isn't that sad?

At any rate, glad you guys are okay. The metal can be repaired. Good luck with the insurance settlement!

G
Old 07-06-2016, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The report is coming out soon so we'll see how honest they really are... thanks again guys for the support. We will rebuild!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
Commendable that they are looking for cell phone users - those would be people that hit you at 50mph in a frontal collision.

But of course, you can't take the eyes off the road ahead of you. Seeing a white car on a grey day like that out of an SUV while distracted may be an issue ...

I am glad you are building your case. Disappointed to hear the CHP would try to start spinning this in a way to give you at least partial fault. A rear end at ped crossing is a no brainer. Would have been better to be hit by a private citizen - isn't that sad?

At any rate, glad you guys are okay. The metal can be repaired. Good luck with the insurance settlement!

G
Sorry to hear about your accident, but you and your son walked away! Thats most important!

Talk to an agressive injury atty! That will put in check any stupidity by the CHP. ...And I hate effin attys!
85 911 Factory Turbo-Look Targa (Gone)

Last edited by Nine9six; 07-10-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Old 07-10-2016, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about the car. Hope it's not a difficult repair.

Love how the arriving officer was trying to somehow blame you etc. He was baiting you!

Anyway the practice of rubber necking for cell phone use is clearly unsafe. If that's so important maybe they need two cops in the petrol car.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope everyone is a OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalflight View Post
Is the seat supposed to crack that easily ?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Really good question!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Update:

- Property repair has been agreed upon, its about $20k in repairs, my insurance covered all this

- Their insurance has agreed to a rental for a few months (probably 3) while repairs happen, reimbursement for my deductible and towing

- Their insurance is going to cover our health costs, but still needs to be worked out how much. My son just cleared his concussion process but is still taking it easy.

- Only remaining open issue is the diminished value of the car. I need an expert to write up a letter on the diminished value aspect. Anyone have any ideas on that? PM me please

So all in all, not all bad.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
20k + current medical + car rental = bull**** ! My daughter was in a similar wreck. She went to the ER and had glass vacuumed off her whole upper torso. Now she's wearing glasses and has migraines. Not trying to scare you but you never know what long term effects could occur. Get a lawyer ( even though I despise most of them) and go the distance. You'll thank me later.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Accident

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Here in Texas all accidents where a police car is involved are handled by State Trooper. I have a friend who's son was hit by a city cop for speeding with out cause and did not have his lights on. It took about 2 minutes for the police to circle the wagons and the city that the cop was from self-insured.

It could have been real bad.

History is the lie we all agree to..........
Old 07-16-2016, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: