Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

lowering a 98 cab

I have a 98 CAb with 30,000 miles in excellent condition. It has been suggested by a few of the guys on this site it may handle a little better by lowering the suspension.

Is there a fairly easy way to do this and if so how much would it cost to do so? Also is there an easy way to widen the rear stance to make it look a little better?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful car ! Guess it depends on how much $ you want to spend. I have a 95 coupe that I put bilstien hd's and mo30 springs in. I've been so satisfied compared to the stock setup that I'm putting the same setup under my 95 cab. But this is a entry level economical setup. I'm sure others will chime in on more elaborate setups.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

so your talking new shocks and springs? how much did that lower it? Did you do it yourself or pay to have it done. And how much for parts and labor?

so tell me which car do you prefer between the coupe and cab? I just sold an 89 coupe. It was the one that went to Luxsport. There was a pretty interesting thread on it a while back.

thanks for the info
Old 03-20-2017, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yes. Springs and shocks. Did it myself. Then paid to have it corner balanced and alignment. I paid about $1700 for the setup. It lowered it roughly 2" Just enough to not get much bump stear. You could always throw in another few hundred and get a pss10 ? It's only money As far as which one I prefer. I've chipped both cars with the same Steve Wong chip and put a ssk in both but I'd have to say the coupe. But only because it has fabspeed cat bypass and maxflows that encourage bad behavior
Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Did you do the fabspeed and maxflows by yourself as well? Sounds like you have a very nice set up. Do you have a hoist at home or did you just use jacks to do the shocks etc?

Is the sound ok for normal driving? I had the chip in my 89 and will get one for the 98 as well. You got any pics you can post?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on the Bilstein HDs and MO30 springs. If you go lower you'll want the RS uprights to adjust for bump steer, I didn't see them on our hosts inventory but Elephant carries them.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/tierod/993-rs-front-uprights.htm
'77 911s - Peru red wide body
'89 964 C4 - Guards red

Last edited by dfhtrhjn; 03-20-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I have a shop with a lift now. But not when I put the exhaust and suspension in. Just jack stands and a garage for that. They're not bad jobs. I did make the mistake of not replacing my front A-arm bushings. With the lower tighter responsiveness it got the stearing wheel shakes. So I had to go back and installed criss wallrod bushings. Been great ever since. The exhaust sounds just right to me. The car was my d.d. for four years. Didn't bother me. And at 5k rpm's the sound really comes to life. I'll try to load some pics up. I've had trouble loading from my iMac to this site for some reason ?

Last edited by wesleyc; 03-20-2017 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I went to the sit where they sell the exhaust they have and they say its for the track only?

What is bump steer?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you want a great sound go with Fisher Stage II or III, no drone, easy to install. I had Stage III on my 98 Carrera S and just loved it. And +! on the Bilstein HDs and MO30 spring. Best, Mark
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 03-21-2017, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Bump steer is a a spectrum....after installing Bilstein PSS9s in my 96 ( an adjustable coil over system) I went a little crazy checking out how low I could go. Bump steer describes a tendency for the car to point away from the direction of the last bump....on all "normal" roads it can be a very sobering experience at speeds greater than 40, depending on severity. "Squirrelly" is the closest word I can think of. In my experience, stock ROW height is almost as low as you can go on the stock (non RS) hub carriers. To my eye it looks right on a stock C2 and for practical reasons to me, lower would expose me to potential damage (my driveway and my frequent need to get on and off of ferries) Some buddies of mine have gone a shade lower and claim that their set up still retains good stability. To Wes....love that, "bad behaviour" LOL! Cheers
Old 03-21-2017, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl72 View Post
I went to the sit where they sell the exhaust they have and they say its for the track only?

What is bump steer?
If you get the supercup's it's definitely track only. Maxflows have no drone and a throaty sound. The cat bypass has removable cats that a straight pipe replaces for track days. Or leave them in to pass emissions. I leave my straight pipes in all the time. No emissions or inspection in this state. Not ozone friendly. I should change back to cats I guess. Fister ll and lll sound great and Darin at Fd Motorsports is very helpful if you get stuck in the process
Old 03-21-2017, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
It's a byproduct of the steering rack being lower than your tie-rods in most cases, and there are a variety of ways to correct the suspension geo. The effect is a wicked jerking of the steering wheel over uneven terrain. It's worst on the ruts in highways and bumps.
'77 911s - Peru red wide body
'89 964 C4 - Guards red
Old 03-21-2017, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

I google Fisher stage II or stage III and don't see anything listed?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl72 View Post
I google Fisher stage II or stage III and don't see anything listed?
Fister stage ll or lll. Google Fd Motorsports
Old 03-21-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

found the web site and also saw lots of videos on the II and the III. Kind of hard to tell the difference in sound. Anybody out there with first hand knowledge on which ones I should get? Not looking for something real loud and obnoxious unless I have my foot in it. I also see some people are changing the cats as well

Also being a convertible will they be real loud if your just driving normally with the top down?

I also see some guys are changing the cats as well. What would that advantage be and what effect would that have on the sound?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: