Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Now in 993 land ...
 
aigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: L.A.-> SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,926
Garage
0W-40 or 15W-50 Mobil 1?

I have used Mobil1 15W-50 in the past. Reading on recent threads, looks like people are running 0W-40 and that shows on the Mobil1 as Porsche recommended.

I like thicker oil for the few times I may run the car hard, track day, canyon run etc. I don't think it ever gets cold enough here to warrant 0W but I am definitely not an expert ...

What do you run in your 993 and what do you recommend!?

I like Mobil1 for easy availability and price ... so not interested in the other brands currently ... oil change coming up! Getting ready for Laguna!

Thanks,

George
__________________
97 993
81 SC (sold)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 21,941
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
I have used Mobil1 15W-50 in the past. Reading on recent threads, looks like people are running 0W-40 and that shows on the Mobil1 as Porsche recommended.

I like thicker oil for the few times I may run the car hard, track day, canyon run etc. I don't think it ever gets cold enough here to warrant 0W but I am definitely not an expert ...

What do you run in your 993 and what do you recommend!?

I like Mobil1 for easy availability and price ... so not interested in the other brands currently ... oil change coming up! Getting ready for Laguna!

Thanks,

George
Besides the weight be concerned about the additive package used in a given oil.

When 993 were new the oil spec was SH, the oil issue these days is that the EPA wants oe emissions equipment to last a long time, to that end Zinc & Phoshorous content ave been reduced in many brands/types of oil. The issue is that the ZDDP(Zinc & Phosphorous) are necessary to protect flat tappet cams as used in 993. The first wave of cam failures was reported after the SL spec(1000 ppm ZDDP) came out in 2004, The oils to be avoided have a starburst API symbol on the can, the older API donut may or may no have reduced ZDDP.

M1 0w-40 has 1000/1100 ppm P/Zn marginal as it's right around the 1000 level where issues first arose
M1 15w/50 has 1200/1300 ppm P/Zn right where SH spec was back in the day

I'd prefer a 15w 40 w/ 1200/1300 but this oil is going to be tough to find and very expensive. Until I find it M1 15w-50 is my choice
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...
 
aigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: L.A.-> SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,926
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Besides the weight be concerned about the additive package used in a given oil.

When 993 were new the oil spec was SH, the oil issue these days is that the EPA wants oe emissions equipment to last a long time, to that end Zinc & Phoshorous content ave been reduced in many brands/types of oil. The issue is that the ZDDP(Zinc & Phosphorous) are necessary to protect flat tappet cams as used in 993. The first wave of cam failures was reported after the SL spec(1000 ppm ZDDP) came out in 2004, The oils to be avoided have a starburst API symbol on the can, the older API donut may or may no have reduced ZDDP.

M1 0w-40 has 1000/1100 ppm P/Zn marginal as it's right around the 1000 level where issues first arose
M1 15w/50 has 1200/1300 ppm P/Zn right where SH spec was back in the day

I'd prefer a 15w 40 w/ 1200/1300 but this oil is going to be tough to find and very expensive. Until I find it M1 15w-50 is my choice
Great info Bill. Thanks for all the detail on the zinc/phosphorous additives. I will stay with the 15W-50 and am glad I haven't jumped on the 0W-40. I have about 25k on my engine since I owned it without issues on this oil.

G
__________________
97 993
81 SC (sold)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fly Over Land
Posts: 107
For 993, you should be researching over on rennlist.com forums. But whatever you do, do not post an open-ended "what oil to use question" thread, as the topic has been beaten to death and the snarkey-ness meter will go to 11.

But Bill V., a 993 known knowledgable source in the forums (and a very nice guy in real life) has condensed down the wisdom you seek.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...
 
aigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: L.A.-> SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,926
Garage
I don't have any motivation to post on Rennlist. I always get great input here on Pelican where the culture is a lot more laid back - you can actually ask an oil question!

Bill is the best if it comes to 993 info.

G
__________________
97 993
81 SC (sold)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
KNS KNS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,062
Mention 0W-40 to Steve Weiner and he will practically plead with you not to put it in your 993.

Stick with what you've been using.
__________________
Kurt
1984 911 Carrera
Old 05-20-2017, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...
 
aigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: L.A.-> SF Bay Area
Posts: 12,926
Garage
Thanks Kurt - indeed. Just received my Walmart Shipment today. And the upside is that I was able to use the leftover 2 quarts from last change!

G
__________________
97 993
81 SC (sold)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 639
I mixed them 50/50. Mobil techs said that was fine. I don't need 50 weight but like the higher zinc/phosphorous additives. The 0W-40 is cheaper.
__________________
__________________________
'58 356A coupe, just a driver
'00 Boxster S
previous Pcars
'95 993 Polar Silver/Chestnut;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
Old 05-22-2017, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 4
You could always throw in some quarts of Mobil 1 V-twin 20W-50 oil at 1600/1750 P/Zn.

I plan on a 50/50 mix with the M1 15W-50 this coming oil change, (my first). Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
NorCal 96 C2
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Garage
Half German,
That is what I have done on the last three changes. Seems logical.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nine9six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,741
Garage
I do the same as well^^^on the 50/50 mix of Mobil V-twin/Mobil1,15-50W, and mentioned it several times on rennlist 993 forum.
__________________
If it flows, it goes. If its smooth, it moves. Any questions?
96 993 C2 (Current)
87 911 Factory Turbo-Look Cab (Sold)
85 911 Factory Turbo-Look Targa (Gone)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Admiral Obvious...
 
sand_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cooterville, Carolina
Posts: 5,867
Joe Gibbs DT50 15W-50 in my daily driver. When I've used the case (9.5-10 quarts for the change and the rest for topping off), I reach for the V-twin 20-50 until the next oil change, with Gibbs.
__________________
-jeff
back in the saddle: '95 993 - just another black C2
*SOLD*: '87 930 GP White - heroin would have been a cheaper addiction...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-31-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Derek911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 203
Whether you like rennlist or not, when it comes to 964/993 Pelican cannot compare to the wealth of information on Rennlist. The same people on Pelican are on Rennlist, but Rennlist is where best info is for 964/993. The issue comes when people ask a question that has been thoroughly debated and worked out. The beauty of rennlist is in reading old threads and making a decision based on it versus starting it all over again. With all that said, I'm a VR1 20-50 kind of guy... Based on rennlist and pelican research, not asking a question.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Derek911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Mention 0W-40 to Steve Weiner and he will practically plead with you not to put it in your 993.

Stick with what you've been using.
I'm with Steve Weiner on this. 0w-40 makes no sense in our high reving engines. Regardless of how you drive or where you live, you should use high zinc oil closer to racing oil than what new cars use like 0w-40.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 59
Garage
Our host has a competitive price on Porsche classic motor oil 10w-60- 5 liter can. Agree with the high rev comments above.
__________________
John
1989 Carrera 4 Coupe - Guards Red
Old 06-04-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Emo993's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Merrimac,WI
Posts: 554
+1 Sand man, Joe Gibbs DT50, read up on the specs. Just a great oil for the 964/993 air cooled engines. Best, Mark
__________________
1974, 914-6 GT Tribute
2007 Cayman S
1998 993 Carrera S, speed yellow (Yellow Bird) gone but not forgotten.
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 06-19-2017, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Emo993's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Merrimac,WI
Posts: 554
PS, free shipping from LN Engineering.
__________________
1974, 914-6 GT Tribute
2007 Cayman S
1998 993 Carrera S, speed yellow (Yellow Bird) gone but not forgotten.
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Admiral Obvious...
 
sand_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cooterville, Carolina
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo993 View Post
PS, free shipping from LN Engineering.
Yep...that's where I order. Good pricing too.
__________________
-jeff
back in the saddle: '95 993 - just another black C2
*SOLD*: '87 930 GP White - heroin would have been a cheaper addiction...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
I was advised by our local Aircooled Guru here in Brisbane Australia to run the 15w-50.
Like you, I also dont see myself needing the cooler temperature aspect.
This was also on a fresh rebuild, so Id rather follow the instructions of my engine builder
Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzKonig View Post
I was advised by our local Aircooled Guru here in Brisbane Australia to run the 15w-50.
Like you, I also dont see myself needing the cooler temperature aspect.
This was also on a fresh rebuild, so Id rather follow the instructions of my engine builder
Are you using Penrith?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2016 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.