Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Speedometer and cruise just flicked off

Dang, my speedometer and cruise control just died on the interstate in my 1993 C2 Cabriolet 964. Both worked for a few minutes and then dropped out again for good. No warning lights or any other issues to report. I searched and found that possibly the VSS -Vehicle Speed Sensor 96460621001 is a possible culprit for the speedo, but found nothing of the speedo\cruise combo failure. Also, I did just have the face of my speedo replaced over the winter. I put on a couple of hundred miles with no issues after the speedo install, but you never know. Does the speedo report back to the cruise? Any one have any thoughts? How hard is it to replace the VSS? Speedo repair is easy.
Thanks in advance!

DonS
Old 06-08-2017, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

do you know someone with a similar car? maybe pull and swap the speedos over just to eliminate if the issue is in the speedo unit itself first...
Old 06-18-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Getting better. I tried a different ABS Relay, Frequency Converter and even soldered the bad looking joints on the speedo. Now the speedo works, but the spoiler light is always on. I did not test the spoiler for automatic deployment at speed, but it does raise and lower manually. I suspect the problem lies in the speedo. Time to crack it open and check solder joints. Maybe a pro can repair it.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have always had 100% satisfaction from North Hollywood Speedometer.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just had the same problem. Capacitors on the speedo board went bad and let the smoke out.

These caps are getting to the age where failure can be expected.

I sent it to Corey Shepherd at Specialty Gauge and he fixed the board, the face, and the odo gears which were close to the end of their service life. Including postage time it was a week, and could have been less time if I didn't miss his call.

Wasn't cheap, but considering everything that was done, I'd say fairly priced. The speedo gauge face was pretty ugly with the lights on, and I wanted to get that fixed anyway.
'91 964 Targa guards red, cashmere
several 914's and loads of parts

Last edited by 914986; 08-23-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I thought the speed situation was fixed, but it reared its ugly head again. Makes no difference what ABS Relay or Frequency Converter are installed, the speedo and cruise just randomly quit. The odometer stops as well. I think I'll ship it off this winter to have it repaired. I suspect this all started when I sent the speedo in for replacement of the face that started to flake...
Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Ship it to the manufactory for this
Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: