Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

993 project what to look for?

I have worked on several of my own cars but since I got rid of everything for a reliable daily driver, I've been thinking of getting a 993 project.

The biggest issue is finding a 993 that's in bad enough condition so that I can learn and have some fun, but not in money pit condition.

I have found several 993s in the 30-40k range that have +90k miles on them.

MAIN QUESTION:

As the miles rack up, what seem to be the biggest issues on the 993? I have done the web and buyer research and nothing in particular stands out other than oil leaks and "time for new engine seals".

What are the upgrades that most people do first on a stock 993? This car will first be a daily driver and eventually become a track car.

Is it idiotic for an amateur mechanic who has only worked on Japanese cars to try and learn the ways of Porsche?

Any advice would help
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_g View Post
I have worked on several of my own cars but since I got rid of everything for a reliable daily driver, I've been thinking of getting a 993 project.

The biggest issue is finding a 993 that's in bad enough condition so that I can learn and have some fun, but not in money pit condition.

I have found several 993s in the 30-40k range that have +90k miles on them.

MAIN QUESTION:

As the miles rack up, what seem to be the biggest issues on the 993? I have done the web and buyer research and nothing in particular stands out other than oil leaks and "time for new engine seals".

What are the upgrades that most people do first on a stock 993? This car will first be a daily driver and eventually become a track car.

Is it idiotic for an amateur mechanic who has only worked on Japanese cars to try and learn the ways of Porsche?

Any advice would help
I have owned a 76 911 S that needed love, and a 930 that needed love...

From a financial point of view, cars that need love are bargains as long as you drive it as-is. The moment you start to fix things, you will be financially upside down.

Nothing wrong with getting a car with needs, as its a low cost entry point. Just realize, the cost of repairs is WAY HIGHER than a Honda....

On the flips side, these cars go up in value. I have owned a 911s, 911sc, 944 turbo, 996, 914, boxster s, 930, etc...

Lost money on one... the boxter S. Didn't like it, traded it in...

All the others are worth way more than I paid when sold..

Welcome to the club .

With 993's, look for collision damage, leakdown tests, clogged emmisions ports, etc...
Old 09-14-2017, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
To help you get more familiar with the 993 platform and to see what the procedures for maintenance and repairs are like, I'm including a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the 993 platform. Please let us know if you have any questions and make sure to post some photos when you get the new ride!

Porsche 964 and Porsche 993 Technical Articles Directory (1989-1998) | DIY Maintenance and Repair Projects for Porsche 911 model years 1989-1998 | Pelican Parts
Old 09-14-2017, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check out rennlist forums for more 993 DIY content. A 993's values are on the collector side, so finding that project grade car will be tricky. But the 993 can be a DIY car, lots of info online to do many repairs / upgrades. Shocks / suspension upgrades / lowering to ROW clearances is a common project.
89 944 T (Blk/Wht) sold
Old 09-14-2017, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have a 993. I have to say that for what you are looking for it's important to know WHO worked on the car in the past.

The worst thing i to chase down problems due to missteps of previous mechanics...
Old 09-14-2017, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: