Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 993 Owner: storage issue

Hey all, First time posting with a 993 issue. I've had my '95 coupe car almost a year and its recent come out of a 5 month storage.

Scenario,
A new battery gets installed this morning. The car fires and builds oil pressure to 4 bar, but idles low enough the tach barely registers. Against my better judgment I blip the throttle to try and settle the idle. This causes the car to sputter and die once the tach falls. Now, from searching all the internets, I gather the DME might need to learn the car once a new battery is installed? And if so blipping the throttle could upset this process. Is this likely what I've done, and if so does anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks for the knowledge sharing
Old 11-06-2017, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I keep my battery disconnected all the time it is in the garage for over 10 years now.
I just connect it back when I feel like taking it out for a drive with no issues.

I'll start checking engine temperature sensor signal. Not sure which one on the 993 but do a search here.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
How old is the fuel that is in the car and how humid is the environment it is stored in? The modern ethanol fuels have quite a short lifespan and tend to degrade faster in a humid environment. Typically when I store the car I fill the car with fresh 94 (non ethanol), add Stabil (fuel stabilizer) to the tank and I've never had starting or running problems when taking the car out of storage. I know my 993's battery has been disconnected for months at a time with no fundamental running problems. My understanding is that the DME does learn (relearn) for a number of start cycles but starting and idling hasn't been an issue for my car when the battery has been disconnected. Cheers
Old 11-11-2017, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would start by removing and cleaning the Idle Control Valve with carb cleaner.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I would not worry about the throttle blip. While it is possible the ICV is stuck, I’d drive and enjoy it a bit before I start taking it apart.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: