Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 431
Garage
Quieter mufflers for B&B or Fabspeed headers?

I have stock exhaust on my 964 and I was thinking of upgrading the headers to something more free flowing such as Fabspeed or B&B with heat. I don't have to pass emissions so the cat is not important.

I've heard the Fabspeed is pretty loud. If I upgrade the headers, are there muffler options that are slightly quieter?

thanks
__________________
Steve
'66 912 - Polo Red;
'74 911s - Silver Carrera RS clone
'77 911s - Peru red IROC Clone
'89 964 C4 - Guards red
Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,301
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhtrhjn View Post
I have stock exhaust on my 964 and I was thinking of upgrading the headers to something more free flowing such as Fabspeed or B&B with heat. I don't have to pass emissions so the cat is not important.

I've heard the Fabspeed is pretty loud. If I upgrade the headers, are there muffler options that are slightly quieter?

thanks
If I were going to do something like that i'd use a 993 exhaust ala 964 3.8RS




__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 431
Garage
I'm glad I asked. A quick search does not reveal many options for 993 headers on a 964 due to the rotated flange.

Some people used Happy Crab from Instant G since they offer 993 headers with the rotated flange. Are there any other places that offer this conversion?

thanks
__________________
Steve
'66 912 - Polo Red;
'74 911s - Silver Carrera RS clone
'77 911s - Peru red IROC Clone
'89 964 C4 - Guards red
Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,301
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhtrhjn View Post
I'm glad I asked. A quick search does not reveal many options for 993 headers on a 964 due to the rotated flange.

Some people used Happy Crab from Instant G since they offer 993 headers with the rotated flange. Are there any other places that offer this conversion?

thanks
Unfortunately no, but I do know that the only way I have ever heard a 3.6 efficiently toned down to civilized levels is w/ a dual muffler arrangement as used on the 993s

My track car, a 993, retains the stock exhaust exactly for that reason(sans cats) several of the tracks around here are serious about noise

My street car w/ 3.6 on the other hand w/ B&B headers and Flowmaster muffler sounds like an unmuffled RSR, A Magnaflow 12568 or 14568 is supposed to be quieter and has been legal at the track on 3.0 liter cars.

This is mine, B&B headers, 964 heat, Flowmaster(Maganflow would look he same)
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 11-14-2017, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
hda hda is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16
I am in the same boat.
I just bought a set of George's headers that I will connect to a muffler via straight pipes.
I was thinking about doing the 997 GT3 muffler with central exit but now I think: would it be possible to adapt a 997 s muffler?

I have a 964.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Don Plumley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Geyserville, CA
Posts: 6,805
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftday View Post
This past week we did another dual BB set up to replace a Fabspeed because the drone over the past few years was too much.
Post moderated - promoting products not sold on Pelican.
__________________
Don Plumley
96 993 Track Hippo | Spinning Hippo Racing
Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Scottsdale Arizona USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA
Posts: 322
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Plumley View Post
Post moderated - promoting products not sold on Pelican.
? Pelican sells both Fabspeed and B&B Exhaust.

The photos posted and removed are current.
__________________
EP West // Automotive Part Connectors & Motorsport Design
1 (844) URO-PART | day@europartswest.com
Old 11-30-2017, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
KYUKYU3
 
samurai_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Norcal
Posts: 19
Garage
I have a 993 so I am not sure if this relevant, but would like to share. Recently I traded my stock mufflers for Fister IIIs. The gent I traded with is going to make Fister IIs out of them as he recently put 100 cell cats and some other modifications in his exhaust system that I can't remember. He said his car was too loud and not allowed to pass the noise regulations on the track thus needed quieter mufflers... I love the Fisters great aggressive sound and no drone what so ever
Old 12-02-2017, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,301
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_k View Post
I have a 993 so I am not sure if this relevant, but would like to share. Recently I traded my stock mufflers for Fister IIIs. The gent I traded with is going to make Fister IIs out of them as he recently put 100 cell cats and some other modifications in his exhaust system that I can't remember. He said his car was too loud and not allowed to pass the noise regulations on the track thus needed quieter mufflers... I love the Fisters great aggressive sound and no drone what so ever
For sure III's are louder than II's

'96 up 993 avoids drone by not commingling the sides and the placement of the tips w/ a critical separation

'95 & RoW 993 does mix the chamber but then it has dual frequency sound filter cat/muffler arrangement after the mixing chamber along w/ the critically spaced tips. There is still no drone w/ a cat bypass that eliminates the commingled sides, so I suspect that it is primarily the dual separate mufflers that are the most important element.
__________________
Bill Verburg
'76 Carrera 3.6RS(nee C3/hotrod), '95 993RS/CS(clone)
| Pelican Home |Rennlist Wheels |Rennlist Brakes |
Old 12-03-2017, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:26 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2017 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.