Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Flying Dutchman

More info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/87388-porsche-recall-for-964-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/383841-recall-campaigns.html
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Good source for recall info

Thanks,
There is a wealth of information on recalls in the links you provided!

Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Did the car arrive yet? would love to hear how you found it, there must be a little story you can tell us. Please post pics! Grand prix white is the most beautiful color in the 964 imo
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Car not here yet.

Story and lots of pictures when car arrives. I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
Did the car arrive yet? would love to hear how you found it, there must be a little story you can tell us. Please post pics! Grand prix white is the most beautiful color in the 964 imo
Old 01-16-2018, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Congrats! I also want to hear stories!
I would not drop the engine right away but that's just me.
I'd replace spark plugs, add some 93 (or more) gas with an additive like Techron by Chevron and see if it starts But it may be just me being impatient as usual
Old 01-16-2018, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I love this story..good for you to take this on , you will bond with your new 964.
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 01-20-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Good effort here! PICS!
Old 02-02-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Arrival date

I finally have an arrival date of mid-March. The waiting is killing me. I have been ordering parts and things I know I will need from Pelican, and storing them in the garage that will soon be home to my Sleeping Beauty. My lovely wife got me several 964 books for my birthday, so I have been killing time reading those but... Damn, I cannot wait for its arrival.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Would you sell it let me know 571-419-4343 Calvin thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
To those that have asked privately and publicly if I would sell it, the answer is yes.... someday.
But not before I take delivery, get it running and enjoy it. This car is the fulfillment of a dream that started when I saw my first 911 in the late 1960's. I promised myself that someday before I die, I will own a 911. So I appreciate the offers but I need to wake up Sleeping Beauty first and see what she will do.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueHead View Post
To those that have asked privately and publicly if I would sell it, the answer is yes.... someday.
But not before I take delivery, get it running and enjoy it. This car is the fulfillment of a dream that started when I saw my first 911 in the late 1960's. I promised myself that someday before I die, I will own a 911. So I appreciate the offers but I need to wake up Sleeping Beauty first and see what she will do.
Good for you!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
She has arrived!

Well folks, I am very pleased to announce that Sleeping Beauty has finally arrived!
And she lives up to her name. What a gorgeous car!

After closing the deal on Dec 29, the car is finally safely in my garage as of March 21, a full 81 agonizing days later. It has been an ordeal; much like a roller-coaster with many emotional ups and downs. To those that asked for more pictures and the backstory, here it is. For those who want to know why it took so long, read on.

This story started back in 2013 when my wife and I were on a Caribbean vacation and we caught wind of an old Porsche that was in storage for many years. It was originally purchased by a wealthy businessman who lived on a small Caribbean Island. This explains the low mileage. He then sold it to a local realtor who ended up not using it much and it ended up in storage. We went to the warehouse to see it, and after peeling back the dusty car cover we were surprised to find that it was a 1992 Carrera 4 in what appeared to be very decent shape. Other than dust and dirt and a few cosmetic issues, it looked good and had very low mileage. Sadly, the car was not for sale and we consoled ourselves by saying it would likely be too expensive to ship it 3,000 kms to get it home. We did however, let the owner know that if it ever came up for sale to please let us know.

In late 2017 the owner advised they were ready to sell and there was already interest from other parties. It was still in storage and had not been moved or touched. We madly started researching the value of the car, the cost of shipping, the export/import process and the soul-searching required before one buys a car that has been in storage for so long. It actually turns out that this car had been in storage in the same dusty old warehouse for 20 years. While conducting our due-diligence we almost lost the car to another buyer. The sad part is that we had just completed our due-diligence and had decided that we would go ahead with the purchase, when the owner called and said he had accepted a deposit from another buyer. What followed was a depressing week or two of self-loathing and self-directed anger for not acting faster. We felt like we lost the deal of a lifetime.

But deals sometimes fall through so we decided to call the owner and to our surprise he told us that the would-be buyer was trying to beat the price down even lower. The buyer was also insisting that the owner had to get the engine running first. None of this was part of the deal, which annoyed the owner. So we saw the opportunity to offer the asking price for the car as-is where-is and that did the trick.

We were able to get a bill of sale by the end of December but then the fun really began. Anyone who has dealt with a Caribbean Island nation’s bureaucracy knows what I am talking about. Everything happens on “Island Time” which means… eventually. We also faced officials who gave very different answers to our questions. Ask a question on Monday and on Tuesday if you ask the same question, you will be given a different answer. Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like some branches of the Canadian Government.

Dealing with the island’s motor vehicle branch, US customs and the government was testing everyone’s patience but after many weeks (I lost count) we finally had all the paperwork done, and hopefully it would satisfy the customs officers who would inspect the car before it was loaded into a sea container.

The logistics of getting the car safely from the warehouse down to the dock and into the sea container would be a story to itself and I won’t bore you with all the details. Suffice it to say that I offered to fly down and help but the owner said “save your money, I can handle it”. Sure… well maybe… well… can I really trust that no harm will come to Sleeping Beauty? There were so many things to worry about, which resulted in many sleepless nights. The tires won’t hold air so with decreased ground clearance the risk of damage while moving or loading the car is high. Re-sealing the tire beads was not an option because the owner had lost the lug nut key. Besides which the rubber was cracked and would likely leak. Thankfully the owner and I were able to work out plans for moving the car and for how to secure it in the container. The owner used his ingenuity to get a non-running car out of the warehouse with no electricity, on flat tires while turning many tight corners without anyone to help. My job was to stay home and worry, and I must say, I did that well.

The next nightmare was booking passage on a ship. Many of the islands are still heavily damaged from the two hurricanes and ships were not running on regular schedules. Although we met all the port and customs deadlines, the shipping company cancelled the ship and the container with the car inside had to sit on the dock for over two weeks until the next ship arrived. This gave me plenty of opportunity to worry about someone breaking into the container to steal the car. On the bright side, customs officers and the shipping company both said all our paperwork was in order, and they applied their seal to the container which completing the export process as far as paperwork was concerned.

In the meantime the owner had to leave the island for several weeks so if anything went wrong, I was out of luck. Fortunately the next ship arrived and left on schedule, but the shipping company website tracker said the container was still on the dock! Holy crap WTF went wrong? It took several days of frantic emails and phone calls before I got confirmation that yes indeed the container had been loaded onto the ship. They were just slow updating the website. I should point out, that if the container had not been loaded and we had to wait for the next ship, all export paperwork would have to be done again from scratch due to a bizarre export regulation that gives you a 30 day window to physically have the car leave the island.

Ok, this story is getting long. I bet those that asked me for the story, are sorry now.

What should have been a two week voyage turned into a one month, slow cruise of the Caribbean. It seems the ship did a lap of most of the Caribbean, stopping at islands owned by France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom as well as Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. The container was transferred 3 times, each time to a larger ship. Finally she was done with the Caribbean cruise and the ship headed North towards Canada, so we were pretty excited at this point. It was such a letdown when the ship anchored off the coast of Bermuda and sat there for days. I have no idea why.

When thinking about how much colder the car will get as it travels north, I had a Holy **** moment. In my defense, it only lasted for a moment, so please don’t judge me too harshly. I was thinking that the car has probably never been this cold in its entire life. Then I thought about the -10C (14F) that the car would see in the next few days and I thought to myself “Holy ****, what if the car’s engine coolant was pure water instead of anti-freeze? After all, people living in the Caribbean have no reason to fear coolant freezing.” Well of course a 911 is air-cooled, but for a moment, I panicked. I am so stupid.

Eventually the ship commenced its final run to its ultimate destination of the port of Saint John, New Brunswick. She arrived on March 19th. It took a few days to clear Canada Customs, get the steamship release and arrange for trucking. Sleeping Beauty arrived home and was safely tucked into my garage on March 21. My wife and I celebrated with Caribbean rum.

Hope you enjoyed reading the backstory, the forwardstory and I hope you will stay tuned for the futurestory of how and when Sleeping Beauty wakes up. Today she sleeps quietly in my basement garage while lazy snowflakes drift to the ground.

Cheers
Photos to follow in next two posts. I will try to upload pix in chronological order.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Photos as promised

I hope these pix will present in chronological order.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
More photos

Final set of photos.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Great story and pictures, keep us updated on your progress.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Great writing and story. It’s a pity it isn’t shared on the Rennlist site as there are a lot more 964 nuts who’d like to read this.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Administrator

Wow, that's a fantastic story. I wonder how the owner got the 964 out of the warehouse with those tires! Congratulations again, and i'm glad it arrived safely Now the fun starts!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
... I wonder how the owner got the 964 out of the warehouse with those tires!...
The answer of course is "with great difficulty"

See the next few photos. He proved that Porsche tow hooks can withstand the sideways pull of a come-along. To reduce friction he slid a plastic sign under the flattest tire. A pallet jack helped too. Anyone know why the little plastic panels below the rear quarter panels are falling off? Obviously something is broken but is this a common problem? I am wondering if incorrect lifting procedures may have caused the stress that broke the connection points??

Old 03-24-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Sir

The tires didn't hold air ?
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 03-24-2018, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliolps2 View Post
Hello Sir

The tires didn't hold air ?
Nope.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: