Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
KYUKYU3

Garage
Advice with paint work on OEM metallic finishes (Zenith Blue, Arena Red, Silvers...)

I have a few new exterior mods that need paint, as well as the front bumper needing a respray.

My car is a Zenith Blue. It is a metallic based finish. I love metallics until you need to do paint work. The PO did a respray on the passenger side which is top notch work. I have had a few metallic cars and gotten paint work done so have a trained eye on paint work. You cannot tell other than with a paint meter and if you are in direct sun light in a certain angle where you can see an ever so subtle difference in the shimmer which is from a difference metallic base as I am sure they did not use the crazy expensive OEM Porsche paint.

I have heard that Porsche used a water based metallic finish on our 993s. I also heard that since then most paint shops use a organic based metallic finish, with the exception of California which has prohibited the use of organic paints within the last couple of years.

I have been to a few body shops to get estimates and understand what they use. PPG and Dupont are two paint supplier names.

I know a full respray is the only solution to get perfection, but I don't want to drop the coin on that.

Do any of you have had paint work done on your metallic beauties and what you found to be a great outcome? Any input for those that have Zenith Blue?

Last edited by samurai_k; 01-12-2018 at 06:28 AM..
Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can’t help you with paint type or brand but a good color match is possible. Years ago on my old SC I needed some touch ups to the metallic silver, the paint shop did a perfect blend, I was impressed.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
Thanks @KNS. I have a new decklid (with duck) and a front bumper that need paint. Do you think I should first try to have them paint it and if it doesn't match then go for a blend into the other panels? Or do you think a blending into the other panels is necessary?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EMBPilot Send a message via Yahoo to EMBPilot
messing with other panels is opening up a whole can of worms.
find a good shop that has done this work before. and drop the bumper off to them. this is very very common job.

I had my bumper resprayed to have the bumperettes filled, i removed the bumper brought it to them, they prepped it, sprayed it, and it was a match.

you may want to order new bumper gasket too. thats a ton of fun putting that back on.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
Thanks for the input. Very helpful.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: