Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
continued

Old 02-20-2018, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
continued

Old 02-20-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Hi Bill. Thanks for that. Do you have the same information available for the DME / ECU harness, that goes from under the seat to the back of the car?

thanks

Will
Old 02-21-2018, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

OK little update, and problems!!

Thanks very much for all your help so far. I eventually purchased a second hand 55 pin 993 non vario harness. I sent it off to Steve Timmins at Instant G who modified it to work with my vario engine. Steve tested it and ran it up on a car in his workshop.

We have fitted in my car, first thing to note was i did not have an ignition feed to the DME. Pin 27 which goes to Terminal 15. Does anyone know where this should be drawing its power supply from?

We gave it a temporary ignition feed to pin 27, but the car is still refusing to start. At first i thought it was the flywheel pick up sensor too far away from the teeth on the flywheel. We played around at various different distances. But none seemed to make any difference. I believe the factory standard distance is 1.00mm +/- 0.2mm.

We started to investigate further, and discovered we have spark, the flywheel pickup sensor seems to be behaving normally. It is triggering the fuel pump to come on when cranking, and giving an output at the tachometer pin. We took the flywheel pickup sensor off, and waved a screwdriver around in front of it. You could here the fuel pump cutting in and out. So i believe this to be functioning correctly.

I started looking into the injector feeds, and noticed we are only getting one pulse per injector, despite how long the engine is cranking over. My thoughts after spending a whole day on it are.

Immobiliser locking me out? A few things are puzzling me. I don't believe my ECU has an immobiliser function. Based on my research and what Steve Timmins has since confirmed. ECU number 993.618.123.11

ECU fault? This could be, as i did buy the ECU second hand, and up until now had no way of testing it. When i sent my loom off to Steve Timmins, he says i sent him the ECU also, and it was tested along with the loom on a car he was working on. I can not say i remember the ECU being sent. So at this point of time Steve is sure it was sent and i am sure it wasn't.

Incorrect chip or map within the chip? I opened up the ECU to try spot a broken solder joint, or something obviously wrong. It was very apparent the ECU had been opened before, and once i got in i found out why. It had a FVD chip fitted. Part numbers pox36675.m 9.05.2005 CD Could this be the reason it is refusing to fire up?

Any thoughts on my non starting issues would be greatly appreciated. Not sure where to go from here? I really don't want to spend 1000 on another ECU to find there is nothing wrong with my current one. I am thinking it has to be something simple hopefully, but i am pulling my hair out going round and round in circles.

To give you all a good laugh, initial fire up didn't quite go to plan either. Went to start and just got a screech out of the starter motor. I instantly knew what was wrong. I hadn't fitted the starter motor rig to the clutch. So engine and box back out!

thanks in advance

Will
Old 09-17-2018, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
My 2 cents: Once there is an aftermarket chip in there its not very likely the ECU still has its antitheft feature enabled. That would make no sense.

At this point I would try and get a Hammer or PST-2 or Durametric hooked up to the harness. If you really only get one pulse on the injectors and then nothing it might indicate a wiring issue (short). FYI, the DME has smart low-side drivers that shut down and report an error condition in the event of overcurrent. A diagnostic tool would tell you this.

And for a quick test, to confirm your observations the engine should run with starter fluid straight into the intake if spark pulses are correctly coming.

Good luck,
Ingo

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 09-17-2018, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

As far as I recall, the dme still needs a drivelock ecu. The aftermarket chip merely tells the drivelock that everything is ok and the drivelock responds to the dme indicating that it agrees that everyhitng is ok.

I learned this because I installed a varioram conversion to my '95. I used a chip from steve wong. I had the option to have the chip coded to not have to press the button on the fob. As I recall (disclaimer here I did this about 4 years ago and the details are fading) I was told that the DME still need the drivelock ecu.

Incidentally, if you have access to a ROW varioram dme and wiring harness I would be very happy to buy it.

Karl
Old 09-30-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
The PO of my car had similar problems to you when he did a '95 993 conversion I dont know much more than this but - here are his comments on solving the issue in the computer.

"I drove the car today for the first time, it turned out that someone had put another plate under the chip and now that has been removed the Timmins chip works, this plate has something to do with stopping anybody copying the chip.

The car runs realy well"
Old 10-08-2018, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: