Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

993 DME harness HELP!!!!!!

Sorry i know this is a bit of a technical post, I hope this allowed in this section. But not sure where else to put it!

Do any of the real knowledgeable people on here know anything about 993 DME harnesses? I have done the forum search, and ready some interesting stuff. But it has left me even more confused!

I am currently putting a 1996 993 Vario-vam ROW engine in a 1980 SC. I have a corresponding 1996 ECU ROW. But no DME wiring harness. Porsche list three harnesses available for 1994, 1995 & 1996.

'94 & '96 are no longer available. But 1995 is. There is a different part number for each year, but what would the difference be? Should or could the 1995 harness be made to work? I don't suppose anyone has a second hand one sitting under their bed???? I can only seem to find non-vario looms available second hand available in the UK.

Will a US spec loom work?

thanks in advance.

Will
Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think you'll have better luck with this if you post on Rennlist 993 Forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/

There have been a number of engine swap wiring harness issues discussed over time. Friendly helpful people there - but be sure to introduce yourself, location, and your project.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointsix View Post
Sorry i know this is a bit of a technical post, I hope this allowed in this section. But not sure where else to put it!

Do any of the real knowledgeable people on here know anything about 993 DME harnesses? I have done the forum search, and ready some interesting stuff. But it has left me even more confused!

I am currently putting a 1996 993 Vario-vam ROW engine in a 1980 SC. I have a corresponding 1996 ECU ROW. But no DME wiring harness. Porsche list three harnesses available for 1994, 1995 & 1996.

'94 & '96 are no longer available. But 1995 is. There is a different part number for each year, but what would the difference be? Should or could the 1995 harness be made to work? I don't suppose anyone has a second hand one sitting under their bed???? I can only seem to find non-vario looms available second hand available in the UK.

thanks in advance.

Will
there was a factory recall for US & Cdn models (W301) made in '95 and 96, affected chassis will have SS or TS Vins, any dealership will have the doc on file it is dated 2/01 9752
the replacement harness has all the connections for both vram and non vram
part # for the updated harness is 993.607.016.15, the date(labeled DATUM)on the harness should be 13.05.95 or later

It used to be available in kit form, part# 000.043.204.61, which included 5 dummy plugs for various things like SAI pump, Vram connector and heat which were used on some but not all models
Old 01-22-2018, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndTARGA View Post
I think you'll have better luck with this if you post on Rennlist 993 Forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/

There have been a number of engine swap wiring harness issues discussed over time. Friendly helpful people there - but be sure to introduce yourself, location, and your project.
Believe it or not there is good info available here, but by all means go to Rennlist
Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the information guys.

I am Will from the Cotswolds in the UK. I have a small Porsche parts business over in the UK, but we ship all over the world. I don't know what advertising rules are like on this forum, as i don't use it too often. But other Porsche forums i am a member of don't even let me mention the website address.

So apologies if i am breaking loads of rules on here. The build blog of my car can be found here.

993 engine '80 SC — Stuttgart Classica

Getting back to the project it is a 1980 SC that is backdated to look early 70's, with a lot more modern suspension, engine etc. Its taken 4 years so far to get to this point. But really want to get it on the road and running by this summer. So time to get the engine in and running.

Thanks so much for those part numbers, i am going to see if they are still available new. thanks again

Will
Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
there was a factory recall for US & Cdn models (W301) made in '95 and 96, affected chassis will have SS or TS Vins, any dealership will have the doc on file it is dated 2/01 9752
the replacement harness has all the connections for both vram and non vram
part # for the updated harness is 993.607.016.15, the date(labeled DATUM)on the harness should be 13.05.95 or later

It used to be available in kit form, part# 000.043.204.61, which included 5 dummy plugs for various things like SAI pump, Vram connector and heat which were used on some but not all models
Hi Bill, I just started looking into those part numbers and i think they are more for the engine loom? I have the loom that sits over the engine, but i am lacking the loom that the ECU would plug into. I believe it sits under the seat and runs backwards to the engine. Number 6 on the diagram.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Believe it or not there is good info available here.
Absolutely!! Did not mean to make any inference otherwise and apologize if that's how that sounded. I'm a long time Pelican member/contributor and when I finally got my 993, this particular sub-forum is where I first announced it. The first and only response was someone suggesting I sign up for the RL forum. Now, like you, I frequent both and find good info on both (I'm jrmdir there)
Old 01-23-2018, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Threepointsix:

Here are a couple of threads started by people who seem to have done similar projects. There may be some useful info - or you may be able to contact some of the posters directly...

993 DME connector pinout

993 Diagnostic Socket to OBDII pinout...
Old 01-23-2018, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Hi Bill, I just started looking into those part numbers and i think they are more for the engine loom? I have the loom that sits over the engine, but i am lacking the loom that the ECU would plug into. I believe it sits under the seat and runs backwards to the engine. Number 6 on the diagram.

Any thoughts?
Ok, so basically ignoring tips and turbos and the '94s there are 2 different versions one for the 55 pin dMEs and one for the 88

you want the 55 pin version, there are several versions but in general any of them can be adapted to another

The difference come down to vram or non, immobilizer or non

Assuming you don't want/have an immobilizer and assuming you have a vram
then it looks like the loom from the engine compartment to the DME under the seat is 993.612.173.32 There may have been a supersession for this loom but I have no information on it.

Just as some additional info about this
I have been able to easily use US or RoW harness alternately w/ both vrmm and non motors w/ and w/o immobilizer. It's very easy to adapt as long as its a 55 pin DME and 55pin harness
Old 01-23-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks Bill for the info.

I do have a vario-vam engine and a non imobilizer ECU from what i can tell. Please see pictures.

I can get hold of a 993 non vario ECU harness pretty easily here in the UK. SO my question is, how hard is it to adapt? What will i need to change on the pins?

thanks everyone for your contributions, such a helpful forum.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Bill for the info.

I do have a vario-vam engine and a non imobilizer ECU from what i can tell. Please see pictures.

I can get hold of a 993 non vario ECU harness pretty easily here in the UK. SO my question is, how hard is it to adapt? What will i need to change on the pins?

thanks everyone for your contributions, such a helpful forum.

I'm guessing that you do have an immobilizer DME
here's mine, RoW 993 vram non immobilizer

But it doesn't matter as long as you replace the chip w/ one w/o the immobilizer code. Steve Wong can certainly provide that.

Not sure how the wiring is done on you t/p but on an immobilized 993 you also need to replace the R61 rely w/ a dummy. Just a guess here but since pre 964 don't have that really it's automatically shunted as part of the process
Old 01-24-2018, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I thought i had a non immobiliser version, based on this info i got sent on impact bumper forum.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I thought i had a non immobiliser version, based on this info i got sent on impact bumper forum.

That's interesting my other one is an .123.11
one came w/ my '95 US non vram w/ immobilizer 993 the other w/ my '97 RoW vram, build date is 7/94 all that agrees w./ the data in the chart

According to that chart I got them mixed up, must have been when I installed the '97 engine in the '95 993

So the immobilier version is the 123.06 in my '76 where the chip doesn't have the immobilizer code.

Both cars have Steve Wong non immobilizer chips, and as I said the 993 has an R61 by pass shunt. The '76 wiring must take care of that part.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:

thanks in advance.

Will
I may have come to this question a bit later than others Bill is very informative with most of this conversion stuff ..
Up until a little while ago I would have said your cause was lost but there is an I depth thread and post on Rennlist detailing using a OBD1 55 PIN ECU US for a varioram with
Only a few modifications .
1. A chip or specific non drive block ECU /DME box
2. Maybe two added wires jumping pins and the relay box in the rear

That's pretty much it other than having the vacuum lines and reservoir set up for then
Varioram intake.
The first harness that was recommended is just the engine alternator wiring.
I have found in the US the other way around the '96 ans '97 can be found difficult but found the '95 seems to be drying up , and all are not available from Porsche Centers.

Looks like an excellent project keep us posted ! Bert
R 2.5 Twin Plug
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
95 conversion Wiring:
1) Resonator: The forward solenoid feeds the resonator. For this use the YELLOW and WHITE wire on the DME HARNESS that had triggered the head bower relay. Run this to either directly to the actuator, with the second wire as HOT or run it to position #4 of the 21pin main DME harness to engine harness connector (X60), which should match up with a GREY/WHITE wire if you have the later engine harness with VRam connectors that the factory upgraded most cars to. When all is said and done this will have connectivity between the 55-pin DME connector Position #32 and the Resonator actuator (Gray/White) wire.
2) VRam: This is now actuated by the signal on the 95 that HAD actuated the resonator. This is a grey and white wire on top of the motor which leads to a two-pin bullet connector. You can extend this wire about 18 and change the connector to a standard bosch fuel injector connector and go right to the VRam actuator. The cleaner way to go is to open up the DME harness where all the wires separate in the engine compartment and tap into the GRAY/WHITE wire, and extend this to the 21-pin main DME to ENGINE harness connector (X60) positon 18. This is directly across from the pin used above and should have a GREEN/WHITE wire plugged into it on the engine side. When all is said and done there should be continuity between the DME connector #1 and the GREEN/WHITE connector on the VRAM Solenoid actuator connection.
3) Be sure both actuators have 12V to the red/white wire on each connector with the engine fired up.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks again everyone for your help so far. I ordered a non vario loom secondhand the other day. The plan was to try and adapt with the information I've learnt here.

Opened the loom up and found a 1983 date code. SO they must have sent me a 3.2 Carrera harness! Anyway thats gone back. I have since found a vario loom from the states. It's from a 1997 C4S apparently. But all the labels have faded beyond recognition to confirm. With this being a US loom not ROW, does anyone know what issues this may cause me with my 1996 ROW ECU and engine?

thanks again.

Will
Old 02-03-2018, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks again everyone for your help so far. I ordered a non vario loom secondhand the other day. The plan was to try and adapt with the information I've learnt here.

Opened the loom up and found a 1983 date code. SO they must have sent me a 3.2 Carrera harness! Anyway thats gone back. I have since found a vario loom from the states. It's from a 1997 C4S apparently. But all the labels have faded beyond recognition to confirm. With this being a US loom not ROW, does anyone know what issues this may cause me with my 1996 ROW ECU and engine?

thanks again.

Will
You want an OBD1 harness, either vram or non, these are all 55pin, All '94 & 95 993 are OBD1 as are all RoW n/a 993

all 993 tt and all US 993 for '96-98 are OBD2

US '97 is OBD2, 88 pin and incompatible w/ your RoW DME
Old 02-03-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Flying Dutchman

Try this? No affl. https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/
Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hi guys, thanks advwaal1 for the link. My new car loom is a Kroon harness. They just don't do 993 stuff yet unfortunately.

Can the far more knowledgeable give me a hand with what is used and what isn't based on these pictures?

Thanks for all the help.

Will
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Here's the info I have on the factory harness

Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: