Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1995 993 vs. later 993s

I would appreciate hearing good or bad points/features of purchasing a 95 993 vs. a 96 or later model year. I have had a number of the 96 and later 993s but no experience with the 95. I have plenty of horsepower already in the garage so if it is primarily a difference of the later cars adding a few additional horses that is not an issue for me. Thank you all.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The immobilizer on late 95 and up is a big deterrent for me. I have two 95 993s. One was a non immobilized and one was not. I couldnít wait to switch the immobilized car to a non immobilized version. If you do this on a later model you will probably have a cel thatís difficult to get rid of. I run no catilitic exhaust and A performance chip which brings it close to the 96 and up horsepower... but as we all know ANY 993 is a good 993 😁
Old 02-10-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The primary difference is the OBD2 spec that was implemented on US '96 up 993 and all 993turbos

normally aspirated 993 for RoW and US '95 993 are OBD1 compliant, these cars all use Bosch Motronic 2.10, this has a 55pin DME and harness, uses a single O sensor and has a user replaceable chip. The same system w/ different chip and 2 harness changes is used for all versions of intake except for the turbos, there are 3 versions of intake, 2 vram(RS and non RS) and non vram. It's simple to bypass the immobilizer in these cars if that's what you want, just replace the chip w/ a non immobilizer chip and by pass the R61 fuel pump relay.

all 993turbo and all uS '96 up OBD2 compliant cars have an 88pin DME and harness, these all use 4 O sensors and have more memory to keep track of faults, The result is that these cars are more sensitive to any sort of engine related issue and will throw a CEl at the drop of a hat. Any CEl flag will be a reason for emissions inspection failure and subsequent sometimes expensive remediation.

Furthermore the '96 DME is a 1 year only dual chip design that cannot even be flash updated . The '97-98 DME is a single chip design, where the chip can be unsoldered from and removed for flash updates, then resoldered into the DME, not as easy as pulling a OBD1 chip and not something a typical owner will be able to do, but better than the '96 design

When i was shopping only looked at '95s and RoW because Moronic 2.10 is much easier to deal w/ than Motronic 5 used on the OBD2 cars.

I have 2 993 engines, one '97 RoW vram one US '95 non vram, either can be run w/ either of the 55pin DME's that came w/ the engines, there are 2 wires that need to be switched to change between vram and non vram. You do need to have a chip that is designed to run the particular intake used. again the immobilizer just signals the chip that it is ok to start and run, to bypass the immobilizer, but keep the other remote features just install a chip that isn't expecting the immobilizer signal
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

@ Bill V: Since a '96 ECU cannot be reflashed, can the DME simply be swapped for a later '97-'98 DME?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalracer View Post
@ Bill V: Since a '96 ECU cannot be reflashed, can the DME simply be swapped for a later '97-'98 DME?
yes, that's a common change
Old 02-14-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: