Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
C4 Tire Advice

I have never owned a Porsche but will soon take delivery of a '92 964 that needs new rubber. I have no idea what tires work well on a C4 and am hoping for some advice.

The car is fitted with what I believe to be OEM Cup 1 wheels (see attached photo). I wish to stay with these wheels and will probably stick with the OEM sizes unless there is a compelling reason to deviate. According to Bentley, the C4 OEM sizes are 205/55 ZR 16 in the front, and 225/50 ZR 16 in the rear.

Intended use will be for weekend drives in the country and an occasional highway trip. I do enjoy twisty roads and thus, traction and braking performance are top priorities. It will not be winter driven and I will avoid driving in the rain, so looking for a summer, performance tire.

I had Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for my Z4 that worked reasonably well. Has anyone tried these on a C4. Any other tires I should consider? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and congrats on the new acquisition! Other members will likely chime in, but Michelin PSS are quite a popular choice as well. Post some photos of the new ride when it comes. Please let us know if there is anything that we can assist with.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueHead View Post
I have never owned a Porsche but will soon take delivery of a '92 964 that needs new rubber. I have no idea what tires work well on a C4 and am hoping for some advice.

The car is fitted with what I believe to be OEM Cup 1 wheels (see attached photo). I wish to stay with these wheels and will probably stick with the OEM sizes unless there is a compelling reason to deviate. According to Bentley, the C4 OEM sizes are 205/55 ZR 16 in the front, and 225/50 ZR 16 in the rear.

Intended use will be for weekend drives in the country and an occasional highway trip. I do enjoy twisty roads and thus, traction and braking performance are top priorities. It will not be winter driven and I will avoid driving in the rain, so looking for a summer, performance tire.

I had Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for my Z4 that worked reasonably well. Has anyone tried these on a C4. Any other tires I should consider? Thanks!
OEM Cup 1 wheels never came in 16" oe
Those are probably what are called Cup Design, they should have a 944 part# and should be 6ET52 front and 8ET52 rear, They are very similar to Cup 1 in appearance

oe tire sizes would have been 205/55 & 225/50 x16

w/ a C4, due to ABS and AWD, it's important to keep front and rear tire OD as close to the same as is possible

As for tires MSS are a fine if somewhat expensive tire, I don't believe that it is available in a16" sizes though, in fact Michelin seems to be abandoning max or extreme performance 16" tires altogether.

The stickiest 16s w/ your sizes are BS RE71, RE11, Dunlop Star Spec, Pirelli Trofeo R, Toyo R1R
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Thanks Bill and Dmitry,

Bill, you are correct on the ET specs as confirmed today by previous owner. Also confirmed is that they are indeed 16" wheels so are you saying that these are not OEM wheels?

You are also correct that the MSS tires are not available in 16" and yes they are pricey and as anyone in Canada will confirm, we get hosed with way higher tire prices than in USA. So I am open to spending less $$. I should also mention that running in early Spring and late Fall could see temperatures down to 40 deg F. Should I maybe consider an all-season tire?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Bill and Dmitry,

Bill, you are correct on the ET specs as confirmed today by previous owner. Also confirmed is that they are indeed 16" wheels so are you saying that these are not OEM wheels?

You are also correct that the MSS tires are not available in 16" and yes they are pricey and as anyone in Canada will confirm, we get hosed with way higher tire prices than in USA. So I am open to spending less $$. I should also mention that running in early Spring and late Fall could see temperatures down to 40 deg F. Should I maybe consider an all-season tire?
Those are oe fitment just a slightly different design from the Cup1
Cup Design came in 16 but not 17 and have larger openings, w/ 944.362.xxx.xx part #s
Cup 1 came in 17 but not 16, have smaller openings/thicker spokes, w/ 965.362.xxx.xx part #s

I just don't see a/s tires on a 911/964 unless you are driving in really foul weather, that said there seems to be a following for Michelin A/S 3+
Old 02-14-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd consider these if you are on a budget

FIRESTONE - FIREHAWK INDY 500

Otherwise the DIREZZA ZII STAR SPEC
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Thanks Bill for your wealth of knowledge and thanks hda for your suggestions. I will continue my tire research and circle back here before making a final selection.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Firehawk Indy 500 has caught my interest but that lead me to the Riken Raptor ZR that seems to be getting some pretty good reviews despite being a low-priced tire. Has anyone tried the Raptors?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sizing in 16" will be the biggest challenge. I drive a 993 C2 which (as Bill points out) doesn't have quite the same concerns for exact sizing. I run MPSS on 18" and find them an excellent tire. Not available in 16" but the SS has been superceeded any way and I believe the stock is limited. Many 911 drivers running 15-16 " wheels have given up on them and gone with larger sized wheels purely for the availability of tires. Good luck with the car! Cheers
Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The Firehawk Indy 500 has caught my interest but that lead me to the Riken Raptor ZR that seems to be getting some pretty good reviews despite being a low-priced tire. Has anyone tried the Raptors?
Call me ignorant but I always go for the "brand" or the brand "group". Don't know who makes the Riken and I have never driven on those.

I did drive on a set of Firestone on the track and they did very OK.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I have to admit I had never heard of Riken tires before so I did some research. Riken is based in Japan and has been exporting tires to North American since 1979. In 1992 they were bought out by Michelin.
The reviews I have read so far have been very positive in regards to dry performance. Mixed reviews on wet performance, some say good, others say bad. Since I won't be racing and I won't have to drive in the rain, I have put these tires into the "interesting" category. Any of the large online tire dealers are offering Rikens at a very attractive price and there is at least one local company in my hometown that offers them as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

On my '90 C4 cab, I had a set of mid 70s Fuchs, 6s and the 7s x 16s so I installed these instead of the Cup Design wheel with the 944 part #s which came with the car. This significantly improved the handling of the car which had been aligned and corner balanced prior to the change. I've got 1/4" spacers all around and had to grind a little off the calipers for the Fuchs to clear. The tires are BF Goodrich G-Force Sport but are old. Either way the handling is significantly better compared to the cup wheels which are much heavier which I what I attribute the improved handling to. The tires on the Cup Design wheels are Pirelli P Zero Nero. Both sets of tires are really old.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I understand the initial question was about tire choices.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Thanks Sunlion,

Wheel advice is appreciated but budget constraints will push new wheels into a future upgrade for my C4. Would you recommend the G-Force Sports?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yep. Only driven on them for a 1K miles but no complaints - solid ride.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The stance needs to be improved if that hasn't been done. The handling will improve also - butt dyno, no lap times to prove it.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Be careful when buying budget tires for these cars. When I got my 964 Turbo several years back - I asked about tires and got many responses along the lines of don't mix brands get Michelin, etc. "phuey" I thought - these guys are just paranoid-gotta-have-name-brand-tires Porsche people. So I tried a set of Hankook Ventus tires (i had really liked their snows on my Audi, and had heard good stuff about this model (from people driving Audis) and so I bought them. Saved about $500 ish. Well I didn't really save anything because they were crap on this car. And of course I also tried mixing brands at first because my front Michelins had lots of life left. So only replaced rears with Hankook at first. Wow that was scary. Car was all over the place at highway speeds. So I replaced the front to match the new rears. Certainly better but still, not good. I think the sidewall must be softer. So then I got Michelin PSS's and they have been great. Well worth the money IMO. ON my second set now. These cars really are different. I'm sure there are other tires that work fine..but this was my experience. YMMV.

I'd also look into some 17s. Just my .02.
Denver, CO
Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Sunlion,

Wheel advice is appreciated but budget constraints will push new wheels into a future upgrade for my C4. Would you recommend the G-Force Sports?
I'm looking for a set of your 16" Cup Design 92 wheels (for winter use on my '90 C2, to be swapped out with my summer 17"s) and am interested in buying your set, if/when you decide to sell.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Lots of useful info guys. Keep it coming.

Sunlion I assume by "stance" you mean ride height? I will have to address that when it comes time for shock/spring replacement, or is there another adjustment I am not aware of?

Hey Turbo Ride, I hear you about budget tires. I would never mix and match tires and am hoping to hear from more 964 owners as to what tires work best for them. Got some great feedback so far. Unfortunately MSS tires are no longer available. I am reading tire reviews but that is no substitute for a 964 owner's direct experience, particularly for C4's.

Kreeshp, thanks for the offer on wheels. Will definitely keep that in mind. First goal and priority budget item is to get this car running. Once that is done, I can determine what is next.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

NO direct experience but Continental came out with a tire designed to compete with the Mich PSS. Extreme Contact maybe?? Probably worth looking in to. But i realize that is not direct experience...at all. Lol.
Denver, CO
Old 02-22-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
tires and rims