Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Clutch service

I've been told I need a new clutch for my 1990 964. I am considering doing the service with my buddies, but before I embark on purchasing all the parts, I want to make sure I really do need a new clutch.

The symptom I am experiencing is that I need to push on the clutch pedal all the way to the floor in order to disengage it. When the wheather is hot, even when pushing all the way to the floor I have to push on the lever a bit harder to get it into first while stopped. I would think that if the clutch is wearing off, it would disengage sooner rather than later when pushing on the pedal. Right? So probably I don't need a new clutch but something else?

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Answering my own question, with information I received from the excellent Pelican Parts customer service -- perhaps others will find it useful:

Typically the clutch release/engagement point gets higher (pedal had to be further out) as the clutch plate wears, but that is not the whole story in deciding when the clutch needs to be replaced. Here is a good summary of the decision process from Tony Callas, one of the best Porsche mechanics in the business:

"I don't go just off of the release pont anymore. I just use it as a factor in my decision. The best way to tell is usually the feel of the clutch pedal , how heavy and graunchy it feels. So I would say to use all the following to determine if you need a new clutch. The clutch feel, the sound, the age and mileage, the history IE track use, the shifting feel and of course the release point. I have resurfaced many Dual Mass Flywheels mainly in the 964's but in a 993 it is rare because I am so worried about DME (computer fault) misfire codes from a faulty flywheel so most of the time we replace them. Again there is a whole process in making that decision. One last note, there are many ways to machine flywheels, you have to be very careful on who you use for this operation. The machinist must be very good and use the correct machine."

That said, I think the problem you are experiencing is caused by failure of a roll pin in the pedal cluster. When this pin starts to shear, it allows the clutch pedal to rotate slightly on its shaft. This is a $2.25 part, but a bit fiddly to install, as it requires pretty much full disassembly of the pedal cluster (while you're in there, replace all the bushings and other wear parts).

If you to to this link, scroll down one page, select your model/year, and drill down to main group 7, sub group 02, illustration 702-00, you can see all the parts of the pedal cluster, with the roll pin shown as item #8:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/originalparts/
Old 02-23-2018, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
clutch