Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Newbie 993 Owner Confused about the Keys

Hello

Just bought a 993 C2 6 speed.
The keys are switch blade style, but the previous owner tells me you must lock then unlock the car to release the immobilizer, but to me itís a POS.

What options do I have, the manual does not say much.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have to do that as well if you let the car sit unlocked for several mins. The immobilizer will activate but the doors will remain unlocked. At that point I have to lock and unlock the car in order to start it. Sometimes I forget to do that and try to start the car. At that point you can simply press the lock button on the key pad (while the key is still in the ignition) and then press the lock button once more to deactivate. Then it will start.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

first gen immobilizer takes some getting used to yes. no way around it AFAIK
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 95 that was the immobilized version. Drove me crazy compared to the earlier 95 non immobilized car. They CAN be bypassed though. You must re-chip your ECU with a non immobilizer chip ( I went with a Steve Wong performance chip) and change out a relay. If youíve got a 95. Itís plug n play. 96 and above chips are soldered in. Still doable though... This will only disable the immobilized portion of your alarm. Doors still lock. Pin lights still come on. Etc.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
NorCal 96 C2

Garage
If locked, unlock with key fob, get in and start the car.
If unlocked, get in turn the key till the dash lights are on, look at the red led on the top of the door and press the fob button, two flashes and start the car.
If the key is left in the ignition after disarming, restart without using the fob.
If you stall while driving, turn key to restart without using the fob.

Check Pelican, they sell fob cases and key heads to change to a fob. You can use the guts of the flip key for both.
Have fun with your new 993
Old 05-08-2018, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This used to bother me as well and I got used to doing the lock & unlock maneuver before trying to start. Then I figured out that you need to have the key turned to "on" while pushing the button. I was turning it back off. Now I've trained myself to do the following:

Always insert the key with the top (rounded) side to the left - towards the driver door. Then turn it 90 degrees to "on." This puts the soft button facing up. One push of that button - then start - works every time.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks
Old 06-02-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I ditched my crappy switchblade keys for the Pelican solution. Havenít missed them since.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Newbie here as well and couldn't consistently get this right. Now I just double up the process (lock and unlock again) before getting into the car.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Just had to explain this to my detailer for my '97 993 Turbo S. This was the "Porsche Drive Block" immobilizer system. Freaks you out a little when you first get a 993, but I assure you it becomes pretty routine after a short while whether you have the switchblades or convert to fob.
'97 993 Turbo S - Ocean Blue Metallic
'13 981 Boxster (BGB 3.8L 991S conversion) - Racing Yellow
Old 06-21-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: