Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1990 964 C4....Was Headed Towards Being A Future Barn Find

Hello- Was hoping to get some opinions on what you would do in my situation.

I am in the process of buying my first 964, a 1990 C4, and hope that I have saved it early enough that getting her back on the road won't be a huge ordeal.

The car was garaged (uncovered) between 4 and 5 years ago (has 2014 expiration plate) by the original owner due to his poor health. He has since passed away. He was a well off medical doctor so I a hoping that he kept up on normal maintenance, but so far I haven't gotten any documentation from the estate. They are still looking for it.

By the first week of July I have to transport the car from the Midwest to my new house in North Florida. I would really love to have it driving and reliable by then.

So here are my thoughts.

#1- Inspect for any obvious liquid leaks or other issues

#2- Detail Interior and Exterior to get all the storage dust off and protect the paint during the mechanical work

#3- New Battery

#4- Drain all the fuel and replace fuel filter/s and add new fresh fuel

#5- Drain oil & Replace Oil & Filter

#6- Replace Air Filter

#7- Try to Fire It Up??

Am I totally off on anything? Should I add a tad of oil in the cylinders and hand turn the motor first?

After I get it running I will inspect the tires, but I am guessing they are shot having sit in the same spot 5 years?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage

Last edited by YankeeFlyGuy; 05-09-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-09-2018, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and congrats on the future purchase! Looks like a really clean overall car on the inside. I'm sure other members will chime in with their thoughts and opinions; but I found an earlier thread where your inquiry was discussed. Hope it helps you out a bit and best of luck! Keep us posted on the restoration process.

Just bought a 1990 911 c2 , been sitting 4 years, things to do to start??
Old 05-09-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dimitry. Youíre right thatís pretty darn close to my question. Missed that on my search.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Your list covers all the important items. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to put a little oil in the cylinders. Try to turn the engine over by hand.

The tires will be fine for short drives around the neighborhood, I wouldn’t get on the freeway with them though.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
- Drain the fuel, add fresh fuel. Do not change the filter yet. Change fuel filter later when you get it running.
- Be careful when connecting a new battery that you don't cross positive and negative cables.
Crossing cables can destroy electronics.
- Flush the brake system later and inspect brake hoses for cracks.
- Check transmission gear oil level
- Before firing it up, remove DME relay and crank until you get oil pressure.
- Install DME relay and fire it up.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 05-10-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
As bazar said, pull the DME, crank a few times, replace, then try to start it.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I am in the Midwest - Madison, WI - if you need local eyes on the car for any purpose. Loading, inspection...as long as it is close to Madison.

Did you notice the cool radar detector under the dash? Vintage cool!

bazar's fire-up advice is all legit assuming oil on dipstick looks good. I always dribble a little out of the crankcase looking for water - but she's air-cooled. Once running and warmed up, then oil and filters.

I'll bet it fires right up and eventually she'll be a peach for you!!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Hey.......... save yourself a ton of problems, time and massive headache's... rent a U-Haul trailer and tow it back to Fla.
Ron
Old 06-23-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: