Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Precarious Tinkerer

996.1 Cabrio Roll Bar Cover Removal

Greetings! Second time owner, first time poster!

Help!
Does anyone know the screw locations to remove the complete roll bar cover trim piece, just behind the rear seats? The 996.2 version has one screw under each roll bar port hole flap, and one screw through a centered rear tab on the back of the cover, when you pull the backside carpet out with the soft top in service position.

On my 996.1 It's a different design! I've flipped the rear seats down, removed the two Phillips head screws and slid that carpeted panel down to clear free of the front lip of the cover piece. This revealed 2 screws, one at each corner on the newly uncovered front lip. I removed those, Put the roof into service position, popped the 4 trim plugs that hold the carpet to the back of the assembly, and removed the one screw from the center tab. The piece will still not lift out and I cannot find any additional hardware holding it in. Do the torx bolts holding the physical box of each roll bar assembly go all the way through and secure the plastic trim too?

Any experienced insight would be appreciated!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Precarious Tinkerer

Update....
On my '99 996 Cabrio, rather than having a screw under each of the port flaps where the roll bars pop out, I found two additional screws on the back where the carpet was removed. SO... from the center screw back there (that holds down the center mounting tab that tends to break), there are TWO ADDITIONAL MOUNTING TABS back there! Each one is located about halfway to the left and right from the center. Both screw out just like the center one and the whole cover comes right off.

Apologies, as I haven't snapped any pics but I'm at work so I'll have to show you with what I can find on the web.
I'm not certain when the design change was made, but I've purchased a scrap yard replacement cover that has the two mounting points inside the pop-out roll bar ports and is designed to mount like this...

This seems to be way most of the covers mount, but not on my 996.

Downside is, I don't have the screw holes present in my roll over bar frame assembly to mount it like that. Apparently there SHOULD be some aluminum L brackets affixed to the whole roll bar assembly frame structure, here...

Anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on a pair of these L brackets?

It seems to be a bit too specific a part to hunt down on Ebay, and I am guessing this may be considered part of the whole roll bar frame assembly from most suppliers. Worst case scenario, I'll just grab some random brackets from Ace Hardware and try to make them work, but I'd rather install something factory designed, rather than a crummy "I guess it'll do!" kind of fix.

Last edited by JavaRacer; 08-28-2018 at 08:48 AM..
Old 08-28-2018, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Precarious Tinkerer

Here's a note on opening the two pop-up roll bar port covers... pry from the rear of each oval cover - there are 3 clips along the back of each, then they rotate open toward the front on 2 plastic "hinges".
If you open them and DO NOT see the screws inside, shown here...

...then you've got a cover like mine. There will be two additional tabs at the rear, where it screws down. They're tucked in a bit more under the cover than the center tab, so you may need to shine a flashlight in the area under the rear of the cover to find them.

I hope this information helps others out there who run into the same issue I did!

Last edited by JavaRacer; 08-29-2018 at 09:18 AM..
Old 08-29-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
cover , remove , roll bar cab