Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2003 C4S, low miles and noisy exhaust?

Hello, team.
I have a great car. ‘03 C4S that I bought with < 9,000 original miles.
I am the third owner and received all documentation with the car.

Car is equipped with PSE
PSE works as it should. Button is functional and causes the “wonderful” sound to change to quiet as it should.

I went through a typical “new to me” oil change and analysis of the old oil through Blackstone. No issues - comments about how clean the oil is. Did the air filter and accessory belt at the same time. Also added a magnetic drain screw. Used Mobil 1 in this oil change.

Car was updated with the LN engineering IMS bearing during previous owner’s tenure.

Previous owner kept car pristine and put very few miles on during his ownership (2007 to 2017). Sounds like it’s not been driven in the rain.

Anyway -
The car sounds noisy: Seems to be a random “ball bearings in a tin can” noise coming from mufflers. Seems to be increasing with amount I drive it.
This sound is not a timing chain slap type of a sound.
Good oil pressure.
Good performance.
No CEL (and the lights are all active when turning on ignition switch).

Does the 996 (and maybe specifically the PSE option) typically exhibit a baffle coming loose in the muffler? Is this something that any of you guys and gals may have experienced in the past?

I’d hate to go down some goofy (example - cam chain tensioner) rabbit hole and spend tons of money to find a problem that really isn’t one at all. But - you really don’t want to continue to drive something with an imminent failure under the deck lid.

Any experiences are of interest.
Thank you.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Have a look at the cats. The 996’s had issues with the cats breaking loose inside. Sounds exactly as you describe.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
A-ha!
Thank you, sir. Next step was going to be poking around with a stethoscope. Now I have someplace to target.
Wonder if Porsche gave any support to owners for such a problem. Probably a non-issue as the car is 15 years old.....

Would sure hate to need to put replacement, high-flow cats onto the vehicle.......
Old 07-06-2018, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The factory response to many failures has been...”Ya, but dis is a vear item”
Old 07-06-2018, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Applies to all cars in the US

Catalytic Converters are emission control devices which are designed to last the life of the vehicle and do not normally require replacement. Furthermore, if the vehicle is properly used and maintained, original converters are covered by the emission control warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles.
DE instructor since 1985
Frank
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Update:
Spent a little time checking the exhaust over yesterday.
Looks like it’s just a loose muffler tip.

Will be snugging it up just as soon as I have a chance to mess with it when cold.

Very much relieved.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

unindicted co-conspirator

that's fantastic
the free fixes are the best
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Looney-
You are correct, sir!

Now - just to find an extra 1/2 hour to get out there and do it.....
Old 07-19-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: