Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Fly

Garage
2001 996 occaional starting problems

New to this forum, hope someone can help me out.

I have had this used 01 911/ 996 for a couple of years, most issues are basic and easy to track down.

1st signs of new issue, took the car on a 3 hour drive, next morning after a few minute run to the store, she wouldn't start, my oil level sensor ramped up from a 5 second to a 10 minute test. after letting run, the car started.

Wife drove the car to work a couple of times 20 minutes each way, all good.
she drove to work as usual and after work, car would not start.

she waiting for the 10 minute cycle of the oil level ( reports full) no start (does turn over no problem) sprayed a little started fluid and it would hit, so looks like the fuel pump is shut off.

I towed the car home, pushed it into the driveway, put the charger on it since I ran the battery down pretty low trying to start it , the next evening, walked out 5 second oil level test, and it fired right up.

Any ideas out there? Would be helpful to know which sensors interrupt the fuel pump, thinking thats the best place to start????
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check the crank position sensor, these are Hall sensors which act up when hot when they are dying. If the CPS goes off line when hot, it shuts the ignition and fuel systems off because it does not see the engine turning. Common problem.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Fly

Garage
chasing the cable to to the clip, it's very stubborn, any pointers to disconnect the cable?

The stage part of the position sensor, never had an issue with a hot engine (ok maybe once) mine cut off when cold, sitting all day. I restarted in the driveway a few times, all seems good then went to move it to the garage and got nothing. the motor cranks over, no fuel smell in exhaust, will not fire.

thanks for all the help

Steve
Old 08-28-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
if the tach needle moves while the starter motor is cranking then it is not the crank position sensor.

In my case it was the fuel pump relay (twice) - easy to change for $20 or so.

In the case of a buddy of mine it was his fuel pump.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Fly

Garage
still down, new crank sensor, changed fuel relay

I now cant get it to fire at all even with starter fluid,

Durametric says its a P0336

any other ideas? does anyone know if I can check the pins on the harness to see if I get anything?
spoke with Pelican tech support, they said they don't have many bosch sensors DOA.

fly
Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Good news is that you have ruled out the cranks sensor and fuel pump relay. Cheap enough and now you know they are good. To do now is jumper the fuel pump relay and listen if the fuel pump runs or not. Specifically, jumper points 87 and 30. That sends power directly to the fuel.pump. If it doesn't run its the fuel pump, if it does run, it's something else (sorry if that's too obvious). Good luck and for sure report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishdelta View Post
still down, new crank sensor, changed fuel relay

I now cant get it to fire at all even with starter fluid,

Durametric says its a P0336

any other ideas? does anyone know if I can check the pins on the harness to see if I get anything?
spoke with Pelican tech support, they said they don't have many bosch sensors DOA.

fly
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the thread i started on rennlist when i had a similar problem. It includes a link to another post (on pelican i think) which may also be helpful.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/979772-2002-996-ran-fine-then-won-t-start.html

Mine ended up being the relay as you know. In my good buddy's case it was the fuel pump.

You will get this sorted.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
One more thing - I googled code P0336 and it goes back to the crankshaft sensor.....Don't want to be that guy but...did you plug it in after you installed it ?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
2001 911/996 , 911/996 not starting , fuel pump failure