Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Should I buy 2003 996?

I have a chance to buy a 2003 996 cab (with hard top) with 27k miles, std, 2 owners for 21 k. Car has two very small door dent but otherwise is very clean shift fine. No smoke no chatter or ticking when started cold. Top in great shape. IMS has not been done. Pulled the oil filter and no signs of failure. The first owner (13 years) put around 1200 miles per year but the Porsche dealer only change the oil every 2 years. The second owner put around 5k per year and changed the oil about the same. Car was always garaged. Donít have detailed records only car fax. I know it should be done every year. Should I take a chance with no detailed records?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ppi
PCA - 36yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (KŲnigstiger)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Had Ppi done checked codes cam angle and over revs. All seems OK question is would sitting and lack of oil change cause long term damage that will show up later?
Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Behind the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyso View Post
Had Ppi done checked codes cam angle and over revs. All seems OK question is would sitting and lack of oil change cause long term damage that will show up later?
Possible. It is the general knowledge. Use this to your advantage

Take 3k off negotiated price for IMS work and clutch
Old 01-03-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Too late PPI showed silver shavings in oil filter. Second one that I've look at so far with the same thing. Thinking of going to a 09+ Boxster S PDK wanted a 911
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7RS View Post
Possible. It is the general knowledge. Use this to your advantage

Take 3k off negotiated price for IMS work and clutch
This is a must. Donít try to talk yourself out of doing the IMSóbefore you put a mile on it. $20k gamble.

TC
Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Lucky catch......actually not lucky, smart on your part. Good and critical due diligence on these single row IMS bearing cars, 911 or Boxster. Risky territory. You could look for a less risky '99 double row IMS 911 as there are a bunch for sale and many reasonably priced. I am with AA717driver, after a purchase with a clean bill of health, drive straight to an IMS upgrade.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would stick with your pursuit of a 996 coupe manual.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardraab1 View Post
I would stick with your pursuit of a 996 coupe manual.
I would, too. Great car. I have a 99 and am very happy with mine.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA717driver View Post
This is a must. Donít try to talk yourself out of doing the IMSóbefore you put a mile on it. $20k gamble.

TC
Iíve got an lns upgrade bearing for my boxster somewhere .
Bought it when I bought the car for piece of mind as I planned to drive that lil bastard hard .
Iirc the last time I remember seeing it I had left it perched on top of my clash CDs in the music room .
Itís probably been knocked of by the cat now , and sitting on the floor behind the bookshelf .
Wherever it is , itís given me great piece of mind during the last 5 years .
I wouldnít hesitate to buy another .
Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thinking of going to a 09+ Boxster
Old 02-18-2019, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c2 View Post
Iíve got an lns upgrade bearing for my boxster somewhere .
Bought it when I bought the car for piece of mind as I planned to drive that lil bastard hard .
Iirc the last time I remember seeing it I had left it perched on top of my clash CDs in the music room .
Itís probably been knocked of by the cat now , and sitting on the floor behind the bookshelf .
Wherever it is , itís given me great piece of mind during the last 5 years .
I wouldnít hesitate to buy another .
and I got a friend who bought a 2003 996 to whom I said to do the IMS bearing (I will help). He got complacent and 5 years later had to buy a new short block.

If it were my car, I do the IMS bearing, period, done, no rolling of dice. That is the ultimate peace of mind.
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 02-18-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

By the end of this week it will rollover to 173,000 miles .
at this stage the labour to fit the new bearing is probobly more than the cars worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelcab1 View Post
and I got a friend who bought a 2003 996 to whom I said to do the IMS bearing (I will help). He got complacent and 5 years later had to buy a new short block.

If it were my car, I do the IMS bearing, period, done, no rolling of dice. That is the ultimate peace of mind.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well I pulled the trigger and bought a 2001 996 with 63K on it. New IMS, Main seal, clutch kit, New tires and refinished wheels. Spent its life in Texas 2 owners. Love the color. He pulled the sump pan and oil filter , bore scoped 5&6, no over revs and low cam deviation. Now I need to figure out why it was traded in. I am sure the car will tell me. Purchased at Euromotive in Cherry Hill NJ for 24K really nice place to do business.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage

'03 Targa😎
Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I’m not sure what you mean , but great photograph to go with the text ....
Old 03-17-2019, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c2 View Post
Iím not sure what you mean , but great photograph to go with the text ....
I guess I forgot to add 'YES' to the OP's title question.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: