Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Should I buy 2003 996?

I have a chance to buy a 2003 996 cab (with hard top) with 27k miles, std, 2 owners for 21 k. Car has two very small door dent but otherwise is very clean shift fine. No smoke no chatter or ticking when started cold. Top in great shape. IMS has not been done. Pulled the oil filter and no signs of failure. The first owner (13 years) put around 1200 miles per year but the Porsche dealer only change the oil every 2 years. The second owner put around 5k per year and changed the oil about the same. Car was always garaged. Don’t have detailed records only car fax. I know it should be done every year. Should I take a chance with no detailed records?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ppi
PCA - 35yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Had Ppi done checked codes cam angle and over revs. All seems OK question is would sitting and lack of oil change cause long term damage that will show up later?
Old 01-03-2019, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Behind the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyso View Post
Had Ppi done checked codes cam angle and over revs. All seems OK question is would sitting and lack of oil change cause long term damage that will show up later?
Possible. It is the general knowledge. Use this to your advantage

Take 3k off negotiated price for IMS work and clutch
Old 01-03-2019, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Too late PPI showed silver shavings in oil filter. Second one that I've look at so far with the same thing. Thinking of going to a 09+ Boxster S PDK wanted a 911
Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: