Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Play in M 96 Water Pump

I'm looking at a 2006 C2 with 69k miles. Flywheel, clutch and related parts replaced at 63k miles. In May of 2017 the water pump was also replaced. A PPI indicated there was a "slight play" in it, and recommended replacing it. What's is the consensus about the significance of play in the water pump? TIA for any insights/advice that can be provided.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

May depend on the quality of the part that was put in. I've never replaced one for any amount of play that wasn't significant or leaking. Not to mention the water pump on the 996 is probably one of the easiest "major" jobs on the car, I wouldn't sweat it especially if it was just replaced.
If you are worried about it and are a handy person, you can buy the parts online and DIY in about 2-3 hours for about $400. If you take it to a shop if could vary by quite a bit... Independent shop with competitive pricing will probably cost around $600-$700. Take it to a Porsche dealer and I would guess the bill to be closer to $1200 give or take.

Also you should find out if they replaced the IMS bearing when they did the clutch... "related" wouldn't include that unless a knowledgable shop did it. Bearing itself is about $700 so it would add significant cost to the job.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the helpful reply. I was able to talk to the servicing shop who did the clutch and flywheel and the tech in charge told me that in 12 years of servicing 997 cars, they had seen only three bearing failures, so did not recommend changing this one.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDriver View Post
Thanks for the helpful reply. I was able to talk to the servicing shop who did the clutch and flywheel and the tech in charge told me that in 12 years of servicing 997 cars, they had seen only three bearing failures, so did not recommend changing this one.
I would have the pump "play" checked by another shop, and closly monitor it if you do buy the car. If it fails while driving it you could lose the engine or wreck if the coolant gets under the tires before you know it.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, yes, that's a good idea.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: