Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Torque on Water Pump Bolts

Is 7 ft-lbs really enough torque for the water pump bolts on my 996?
Old 10-22-2019, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Spec is 7.5 so I go 8 with no problems
Old 10-22-2019, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Spec is 7.5 so I go 8 with no problems
Just saw you other post on the same subject. If using anti-seize 7 is plenty.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
BigTim

A 1/4 inch drive, inch lbs torque wrench will be better suited to access the bolts and torque to
95 inch lbs.
HTH
Tim
Old 10-31-2019, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
FWIW -
I just did the water pump (and thermostat, and timing belt, etc....) in my daughter’s Subaru last weekend.
This guy has M6 screws holding the water pump on. I never even had the chance to feel one of them snug up before it pulled the original threads out of the block.
So, yeah. Follow the torque spec.

*In my case, I was able to reach with a drill / tap and insert a heli-coil. But I wasn’t happy about needing to do it. My guess is that the block casting was not so great in that one specific area.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Torque is 10nm approx 7.5 lb/ft. No antisieze or other compound is required or recommended.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2019, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
Torque is 10nm approx 7.5 lb/ft. No antisieze or other compound is required or recommended.

Cheers
Au contraire......we find fasteners associated with coolant, like the water pump or thermostat housing, can benefit from the use of anti seize compound. These fasteners suffer more from dissimilar metal and water corrosion that nearly any other in the engine, and being snapped off when being removed as the result. A little ant seize never hurts.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Do as you wish. These fasteners are not exposed to coolant when installed. Never seen one that would not come out easily on these engines, but perhaps it happens.

Last edited by Jeff Alton; Today at 09:07 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: