Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
996 sometimes doesn't crank

I've searched many threads, and many ... er ... fora? But most address combustion issues--mine just occasionally decides not to crank. Dash lights up nicely when you turn the key, but zero turning of the motor. I've seen references to immobilizers with no further details to follow up on. I've seen references to DME relays--is there even one in a 2001 996? (I can find no specific information indicating that there is, and this thread suggests there isn't: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/861259-where-is-the-dme-relay.html).

I've also seen the youtube video "now with fix" about terminal 86s. The first time this happened, I thought it worked. But I now suspect it was coincidence since, as with this morning, I can just retry the start (i.e. turn key back and forth) until eventually it magically turns over. Once it does, the car runs as Ferdinand intended.

Where to start? Would a better code reader give me any real clues? My current one is a simple OBDII a la 90's.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

clutch switch or ignition switch are the first things that come to mind. Both are wear items on 996.
DE instructor since 1985
Frank
Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Frank.

Would you happen to know if there is some post or other documentation that could point me to a relay lead or other point for a voltage read?

-Gray-
Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

Mine did that when the starter began its death spiral
It was an intermittent no crank, then would crank over like nothing was wrong
Maybe that is the issue
Old 01-17-2020, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPB111 View Post
clutch switch or ignition switch are the first things that come to mind. Both are wear items on 996.
^^this^^

Old 01-18-2020, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: