Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
High performance GT3 clutch

I'm in the process of upgrading my 996 GT3 to 3.8 and while the engine is out, I would like to install a new clutch. Street driving and carving corners on the occasional canyon runs is all I do.
Any thoughts on a nice clutch/flywheel upgrade?

Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 02-28-2021, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Solid Flywheel and matching disc/PP. Not real need to go to the 4.0RS disc.
997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Thank you Jeff
The reason I'm asking is the suggestion that the solid flywheel combo has been linked to harmonic issues (noise and excess vibration).
I have zero experience with theses cars (no rubber boots....lol) so all I can do is ask.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

The Sachs Sport clutch kit and stock FW will do fine. You engine is really a Metzger based design, so you could go with a LW FW if you like, but be prepared for the need to rev it off of a standing start and gearbox rattling at idle.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schmidt View Post
Thank you Jeff
The reason I'm asking is the suggestion that the solid flywheel combo has been linked to harmonic issues (noise and excess vibration).
I have zero experience with theses cars (no rubber boots....lol) so all I can do is ask.
Yes, great question and I did not completely answer...

Also get the RS pulley set up.

996 102 017 95 pulley
993 102 550 80 bolt 14x1.5x40
999 025 174 02 washer

This should solve the harmonic issue.

This upgrade is easy to drive, in two standing starts you will get the extra incredibly small throttle input required. Never had a customer stall one... lol. The gearbox rattle will be in neutral with the clutch not depressed.... Just like an RS.... Not annoying at all, and quieter than a 991 GT3 PDK in neutral....

Other options are to stick with the stock flywheel and go with an aftermarket clutch kit of some quality (no experience) . The nice thing with the RS upgrade is that it is all factory parts with the same reliability, release characteristics, pedal feel and able to handle lots of power.

Cheers

997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.

Last edited by Jeff Alton; 03-04-2021 at 06:56 PM..
Old 03-04-2021, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: