Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Love that colour-reminds me of the 'Gun Metal Grey' on my 85.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with you...I drove air cooled for many yeara but switched to the MkII 996 about three years ago. I loved my 911, but this 996 is simply a better car and perfect as both a daily driver and occasional auto-x track toy.

My present car is arctic grey on black. I am at about 135K kilometres, that's about 83K miles and the car drives like new. Now, mine does have a replacement engine. Exactly why it was replaced 40k miles ago is not clear but of course I don't mind.

My feeling is that this car will go 250k miles as well. I do about 16k miles per year so I've got ten years to go, which is about as long as I plan on driving the car.

I've deleted my centre console (the one to the front of the shifter) replaced the brakes and a coolant expansion tank, and of course do my oil changes regularly...I'm planning a trans fluid change this summer and I have a set of Bilstien PSS9 coilovers in my shop which will be installed this summer also.

I think a clutch in 2011, maybe 2012...

Sure the 997 is prettier and the GT3 is a modern collectable, but the normal 996 C2 is such an incredible value that I figure I'll keep driving them forever.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
MiamiTurbo

Hello all,
I just drove a 99 coupe this weekend my first time driving a 996 and I must say it was completely awesome in every way! I liked it so much I'm buying it! Red on black, GT2 front bumper and wing 3 pcs wheels has a rebuilt engine and a 1 year warranty from the seller!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I've bet the last three years writing a book on the 996 (and Boxster), because I believe they are great cars and will continue to be treasured and used into the future. I see them more as driver cars that are actually driven, versus collectibles, like the earlier air cooled cars.

Congrats on your purchase!

-Wayne
Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
MiamiTurbo

I will buy that book ASAP!

Wayne, I have 2 of your books already and I am eagerly awaiting the release of this one! Here is a pic of my new money pit, err P Car!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I just ferried my new um old 996 home one sunday 2000.c2 Have to say thx to all of you out there because some of these people can really have you believe you got a lemon,That was the bad news! wow This car is just plain awesome!!!!!!! I raced bikes and a gsxr 1100 an this is a four wheel gsxr!!Just getting used to it and trying not to stress the trany an clutch when shifting be another day or two,but its a keeper. I'm all smiles now
Old 03-03-2010, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I wouldn't go as far to say it's a k6 gsxr1000 on 4 wheels. No way to launch past 5 cars in a couple seconds on a two lane country road. It growls and howls but doesn't come near my k6 1000. But its a cool car. No where near the 175 hp 400 lb bike with 14,00 rpm. The 996 would have to have 1,400 hp.

But it is a cool car to cruise with.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Who can argue about the power an weight of a bike against a car , but these cars are about the closest affordable factory 4 wheelers your going to get to compare with a bike in performance and the fun factor ,if they could talk they would be saying come on lets go faster
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

P.S with 200 pound drivers on/in both the 996 would only need about 900 horse to be about on par, be kinda hard to see over the nose riding a wheelie at a hundred miles an hour though !
Old 03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

The cars a great cruiser. I really wish it had the power to liter of the new bike engines out there. What we don't need is pulling up to lights like hawaii has with magnetic sensors to change the lights and be sitting there in an aluminum, titanium and plastic car waiting for somebody with a steel car to come up behind us so the light will change. The newer porsche concept car is carbon fiber for a frame. I have to wonder if the engine, suspension and electric motor is non ferous also.

It's a great car with lots of spoiled drivers
Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I can pretty much guarantee you that your electric motor will be ferous :-)

Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: