Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

996 GT3 brake question

I am new to a 12,000 mile GT3, my first "steamer". After putting about 2,000 miles on it I have a question about the brakes that I am not sure is just "the nature of the beast"

My car has 19" wheels with P-Zero Pirelli's. Good tread all around. On firm application of brakes from highway speeds (55-70 mph), dry asphalt or concrete, straight line:

1. It feels like the front brakes momentarily lock up;
2. There is a click sensation in the brake pedal like the ABS is kicking in; and,
3. Sometimes there is a noise from the brakes not unlike old Mercedes ABS systems (1980's)

The rotors are stock steel. The pads have yellow backing and seem to be original. The car was reportedly never tracked and there do not appear to be any strees cracks on the disc face normally associated with track use.

I pulled the front pads and when slliding the face across sandpaper on a flat surface, the contact area appears to be on the ends with the center party of the pad untouched, almost like the pad face was concave.

Normal?

Suggestions?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It may be that your ABS IS kicking in. 19" wheels are note ideal on the 996 GT3, and if your diameters are off, the car might be trying to compensate.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
If you're not used to higher performance or more track oriented cars, the brakes/ABS in the GT3 can easily seem too sensitive, intrusive. You could always drive another to compare, but I'd say probably normal. Was one of my initial thoughts first time I drove one on track.
Ahmet
Old 12-11-2008, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
See what happens with 18 inch wheels.
Doesnt the ABS have a wheel speed sensor? This might be affecting it.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

StevoRocket

I think I may. Anyone have a feel on the market for 19" Champion wheels?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: