Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
From what you are describing, as mentioned in an earlier post I would really look at the ground strap. I had an '89 944 Turbo that had all kinds of very similar issues. I even replaced the alternator twice. I then checked the ground strap, found the bolt to be loose, tightened it up and all the problems went away.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post
From what you are describing, as mentioned in an earlier post I would really look at the ground strap. I had an '89 944 Turbo that had all kinds of very similar issues. I even replaced the alternator twice. I then checked the ground strap, found the bolt to be loose, tightened it up and all the problems went away.
The ground quite possibly could have come loose during the water pump installation.

Did the Instrument cluster lights go out after the first shop had it?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Have you checked all the factory grounds? The fact that your gauges work but lights don't actually suggest the dash was out, is this true? My 996 had a very similar problem and I took it to the dealer to have scanned and diagnosed only. Is this an option that is available to you? When I got the problem fixed it turned out to be a ground problem when my dash was not re-installed correctly after being removed by the PO.
2012 Audi A8L
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Fella's!

Well...youre looking at 1 happy 996 owner.

The local PCA Tech-Team LEADER has just given me my car back.

CORRECT diagnosis, and CORRECT repair:

Poorly grounded alternator (alternator works just FINE - was NOT in need of replacment afterall...imagine THAT).

Cost of PROFESSIONAL diagnostic and repair: $200.00

Value of a true PROFESSIONAL: unfathomable.

Put 200 miles on last night - deja vu - big time...ran out just like old times.

......(sigh)

Thanks Lads - as I said..you guys are my NINJA's.

Chris (anyone in the Tampa/St Pete/Sarasota area need a referral: Im happy to provide you with one)

p.s. Wayne - youre the MAN. Im after some type of springs now..my tech is sending the part number to me..he wants to lower it just a hair and snug it onto the rims for a better stance. I will be in touch very shortly.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Congrats, I am glad it worked out for you. These things can get crazy when techs go fishing for the problem
2012 Audi A8L
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena
Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
P.S.

Forgot to tell you guys...I have a RABID pit-bull for an attorney...he's pretty confident that we'll be prevailing in our "cause"...

...keep you lads posted!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
great news on the car and the fix
Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Are your panel lights illuminating along with the clutch safety switch enabled? Strikes me strange that that alternator loop would be in the initial ignition power on sequince to get panel lights. I was thinking ignition switch if its one fix cures all.

First thing in trouble shooting is connections. They were looking for money not fixes.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
MiamiTurbo

Thats great news
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Wow....I came on here looking for an explanation as to why my alarm goes off randomly for no reason....this thread made me happy that's my only complaint! Glad your car's all better Chris!
2001 aprilia RSV Mille, blk/red
2001 Suzuki DRZ-400S, yel/blk
Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

On the switch it has different areas it supplys power to. If the internals are fouled then intermitent or no connection is going on. That's why guy with bad switches get weird stuff like you have.

As far as you saying the idle is rough like its cold it shouldn't be that way. Cold or warm it should fire correctly. One time a shop screwing up not tightening the wire connections to an alternator gave weird problems like yours. Yah its tight in there but after the air box is out things are a little easier to check out. It wouldn't be nice to let the shops keep taking your money when it is probably related to something one of them messed up. I'd check the surroundings of what they dealt with and put a new ignition switch in.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Unbelievable story but glad it had a happy ending. You started out with a simple overheating problem, most probably caused by a bad coolant tank and or bad coolant tank cap. How you got to all the other problems was a function of the people you used to fix the problem as I suspect none of those issues existed before other folks started working on your car. Stick with certified Porsche techs. I take my Porsche to the dealer for 2 reasons, first their people are trained to work specifically on these cars and second, if they screw it up they are more likely to put it right without you having to call a lawyer. Besides, after all you spent for repairs that were unnecessary, I've got a feeling you would have saved a lot of money by going to the dealer first. As for the tow truck, the tow ring that comes with the car is this only attachment point the tow driver should ever use to winch a Porsche onto a flatbed which by the way the only way your Porsche should ever be transported other than under it's own power. The other thing I would recommend is staying tuned in to this forum as you can learn a great deal from the folks here who have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to these cars.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: