Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Just Bought an 02 C2 (rambling just a little)

I've been researching 911s for a little while and finally decided to trade in a BMW Z3 2.3 for the 996. Really wanted either 1 996TT or 996 C4S but couldn't justify the expenditure to Mrs. I also own a 98 E36 M3 (barely modified with ECU remap) and a 88 951 (w/270 whp). As much as I wanted to keep the Z3 and having a convertible was kind of nice, the Mrs. was having issues with my "fleet" taking up too much real estate and would had freaked if i added a 4th car. She drives a Acura TL 6MT (hates the four doors but likes the car) and she enjoyed driving the Z3 (hates the M3,too raw she says and won't drive the 951). I hope she likes the 996. She did a DE in a Aston Martin last year (did so much better than me) . I hope to take her to a few DEs/track days this year. I think the 996 will work for her, while I use the 951.

So far I'm pretty happy with the 996. It's the dark blue with blue full leather interior, 18" wheels. Power delivery is wonderful. Interior is nice (a bit too luxury for me with the wood trim). This being my first time driving/owning a rear engine car I'm not sure if I have a front end problem or if the slight front end floatiness is natural. I understand it's going to have a different feel than the front engined cars. It was checked out and passed inspection. The floaty feeling only comes into play at speeds greater than 80mph. Although the tires have a lot a tread left, I plan to change them this week. The fronts were made in 2002 and the rears made in 2005. I believe the suspension is still original. I plan to go with some combination of H&R or Eibach springs with either Konis (have these on the 951) or Bilsteins Sports (I like the feel of this on the M3) after doing more forum "research". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
88 Porsche 944 Turbo
04 BMW M3
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Rather then gong with a combination of springs / struts, I ended up going with the Euro M030 package. I think it really balanced out the car and made it a joy to drive. Before the front would get floaty and tend to push when going around a turn.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

I've got PSS9s on all four corners, combined with Brembo big brakes and Tarett sway bars. Works great for me!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the response. I think I'm going with the PSS9s. I'm happy to hear that the floatiness is "normal" for a used stock suspension.

Ken
88 Porsche 944 Turbo
04 BMW M3
Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just (today) swapped my stock US suspension with 87K miles to PSS9 and H&R sway bars. After good corner balance and alignment, to say the car is transformed would be an understatement.

It's a really, really nice handling car and the bouncy porpoise feel is *completely* gone.

Highly recommended upgrade.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: