Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry 2001 Porsche 996 - Front Hood Won't Open: No Dead Battery

Just driving back from the market (with perishables in the front) and for some reason the hood will not open. Followed instructions from the manual, completed entire process of hooking up external battery to side door and switch = nothing. Front hood was making attempts to unlatch (could feel and hear), to no avail. Multiple attempts to lock and unlock, in case it's a security systems issue.

HELP! No one wants rotting food in their porsche!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Did you try yanking on the emergency release (cable behind the bumper)?
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 07-24-2010, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrockhound View Post
Did you try yanking on the emergency release (cable behind the bumper)?
There's an emergency release cable behind the bumper? I didn't know that. Do you have to remove the bumper to access it?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You don't have to remove the bumper. Porsche aren't that sadistic. I'm not sure what side it's on. It's a thin cable with a loop in it you can snag with a finger.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Trunk won't release by pushing switch with charged battery 2001 911
Old 09-06-2018, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

Try having someone push down on the frunk while you press the release
It may just be caught
Also, the cable release is on the passenger side behind the wheel well liner
Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin View Post
Try having someone push down on the frunk while you press the release
It may just be caught
Also, the cable release is on the passenger side behind the wheel well liner
Which requires the removal of the wheel, and the use of the wheel lock that is in the trunk. This is one reason why I keep the wheel lock in the tool box, and an extra wheel lock (what, you did not get a spare one?) in the glove box.

By the way, did you try the key fob? My 997 switch was bad, but the key fob clicker worked.
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 09-07-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Folks

Confirmed this is a PITA job. not hard, just 1hr of hassle to open the trunk once you'll likely break a plastic wheel well rivitt or more, i was able to remove all the rivits and peel back the liner without completely removing it .. and if your break a rivit , you'll have to order and wait for a delivery - hassle

...and Hoping it will not stick again. Mine tended to stick more often when the truck lid was hot from the sun.

after diddling with the wheel method 2x , note wear gloves to pull the wire its thin and sharp. and requires a good tug. its up their pretty far get your head and a light in their to see it. it might tale a few mins to locate

my tech tip Wire clothes hanger cut to create a hook about 6" one end a loop for your finger to grab, other side hook to grab the wire loop.

so by the 3rd time i was feed up drilled a small hole in the wheel well liner and extend the cable with wire past the wheel well liner, so now i could just grab it. however you arm gets full of dirt . hassle

SOLUTION Best was to take it to the shop and have them replace the hood latch mechanism $90 part and $100 labor. Problem solved , time spend dorking as outlined above vs a real professional fixing the issue . I would value my time as better spent paying the pro !

all the best, never had a problem since the shop fixed

Last edited by markp92692; Yesterday at 08:17 PM..
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: