Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
hemeoncdoc

Garage
Where is the starter relay on a 996?

I have a 99 996 carrera 4. I have had problems with starting. I replaced the starter, no better. I then replaced the ignition with the new upgraded model, no better. It will start, but does nothing until I turn the key like 10 times, then the starter will turn over vigorously and the car will start. It makes no sound until the starter finally kicks in. I checked the wiring to the starter, looks fine. I bought the starter relay, assuming there wasn't any other part that could fail!? BUT I cannot find any reference as to where it goes. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached below is a photo of the relay panel behind the rear seats under the carpet. NONE of those relays shares the same part number, but several have the same relay configuration as the part number. I replaced each one by one, and nothing made a difference. Either the relay is elsewhere, or it isnt the problem. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by hemeoncdoc; 05-15-2011 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: addl info
Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It located behind the back seats under the carpet in the DME area.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
hemeoncdoc

Garage
Thanks - but could you help me understand exactly where under the carpet? Under the seat, or actually under the rear floor carpet? I tried pulling the carpet up, but I don't see anything and am afraid to tear the carpet. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
hemeoncdoc

Garage
I found it. Thanks for the info! Now to see if it fixes the problem...
Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
hemeoncdoc

Garage
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
MiamiTurbo

So, is the problem gone?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

hemeoncdoc

Garage
No better. I revised the original post. Any suggestions? I counted today - 17 times turning the key before anything happened, then fired over.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hey folks: I too think I may have a relay prob. I have a no-start issue. I found the Relay Center, but have no idea what each relay is. There are no labels. Can anyone tell me what each relay is for? P.S. I have a 01' C4. Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: