Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
P-Car Dad

Question Engine won't start - H E L P !!!

OK, i give! I just finished a complete rebuild after an IMS failure. The rebuild went great, all new parts IMS,, Bearings, rings, valve job, wear pads, the whole 9 yards. I got the engine back in and topped all the fluids. Connected the battery, blink, blink, click, all the windows go down. I thought that was a little unusual but OK. Hit the key, starter rolls the engine over and nothing fires up. Checked all the connections, spark and fuel. No fuel flow. Checked the fuel pump by bridging the relay and it runs OK. Checked the relay and it is OK. Tried to start it wit the relay bridged but no go. Checked the crank position sensor and it has 150mv while cranking.

What is left? How do I check the DME? What are the symptoms of the immobilizer kicking in? Any and all help is appreciated.

1999 996 C2 3.4L with a ZERO miles engine...

Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Try pressing the schrader valve on the fuelrail to see if fuel is primed in fuelrail
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
P-Car Dad

If I jumper the fuel pump relay I have flow. The relay is good but the DME appears to never send a signal for it to turn on. I am sure this is a symptom of a larger problem but I do not know what.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to kinein
hmmm havin similiar issue
Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
P-Car Dad

What have you done so far to troubleshoot? What did you do that got you to the point that it does not work? In my case it was a full rebuild.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The crank sensor should be a rising and falling value, not a steady voltage. Are you using a volt meter to check it?
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold

Last edited by rb101; 05-18-2011 at 05:34 AM..
Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

According to the service manual when you turn the key on the fuel pump activates momentarily .I just tried mine (1999 996) and it does .I think the fact that the windows went down points to the alarm system blocking activation .The question is why and I don't know .Tony Callais or Todd Holyoak would know .
Since the car ran a month ago it would seem to be something simple .
Dave
Old 05-18-2011, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
P-Car Dad

How do I get in touch with Tony or Todd?

Sensor Test... If you look at with a scope it will rise and fall. If you use a voltmeter it is AC with swings deoending on how fast the engine turns.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Tony is Callas Rennsport -310-370-7038 .I have never talked to him but have read his technical articles in Excellence Magazine .Not sure he will take the call but worth a shot
Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkellison View Post
What have you done so far to troubleshoot? What did you do that got you to the point that it does not work? In my case it was a full rebuild.
well on mine my car has been sitting in a bodyshop for 2yrs, i bought another motor from local mechanic. he was leaving for a month so i had to send the car over for the motor had them install it.

they drain the tank and fuel lines. i didnt know when i went to see the car after the motor was installed. at the bodyshop it kicked over and then died couldnt get it started after that. and it wouldnt start i added fuel to the tank after realizing there was no fuel in it. after fueling still wont start, the fuel pump was 6 months old before sitting for two years at the bodyshop.

i put it in the on position so the fuel pump can do its thing and it still wont start. mechanic doesnt come back for a few more weeks. its getn the upholstery put in right now, i am goin back out to see again tomorrow see if i can get it to start. any ideas?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
are you suppose to hear the fuel pump working? i had one of the buddies over when i tried to start the first time, he said its running super rich, is that whats stopping it from turning over?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
P-Car Dad

When you first hit the key you should hear the fuel pump pessurize the system then I think that it cuts off until you start the engine. Mine does not run at all. In my case it is not the pump or the relay. The relay is not getting a signal to start. The engine rolls over but never starts.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

This might help..........if the car thinks an airbag has been deployed it will turn the fuel pump off .By chance is there an airbag connector loose ? Have youy read all the CEL codes ?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
P-Car Dad

I do not have a Diag tool that will read the AB codes. BUT..... The steering wheel is off and in the pasenger seat. If it is disconnected, is that considered deployed?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

yes
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
P-Car Dad

No more calls, we have a WINNER!! dc drechsel nailed the problem. If the Air Bag system detects a deployment, the DME shuts off the fuel flow and drops the windows. Pretty darn smart car. Except when the drivers air bag and steering wheel are in the passenger seat. This makes the AB system think that the AB has deployed. I put the AB back in, reset the DME, hit the key and, voila! There just is nothing like the sound of 300HP in a flat engine. WOW! This is awesome...

Thanks for all the help. You just have to love a bunch of PCar guys and gals helping each other.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Great !Looks like a Durametric or trip to the dealer to clear the airbag light is in your future .
Old 05-19-2011, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Try pressing the schrader valve on the fuelrail to see if fuel is primed in fuelrail
Post #2
Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
P-Car Dad

Unfortunately so. I ordered a PIWIS yesterday. But the engine runs like a 300HP sewing machine. Itis totaly awesome considering the last sound that it made was the sound of gravel as the IMS bearing self destructed.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: