Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 996 Startup Rattle

Has anyone experienced any kind of engine "rattle" sound on first startup?

This is a 99 model with only 50k miles. The "rattle" only occurs after sitting overnight or longer.

The noise goes away immediately, and never occurs again the same day.

I was told this is a characteristic of the first generation of the Variocam system and is not something to be concerned about.

Any comments or documentation available to confirm or deny this?

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 06-30-2011 at 06:09 AM..
Old 06-30-2011, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My 99 C2 does the same thing. It goes away in a few seconds. A 996 guru on another forum says "It is normal." I think it might have to do with the light
0W-40 oil too.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The rattle you describe is very common & often caused by a chain tensioner leaking oil overnight or clogged with debris. In 2001 Porsche changed the IMS drive chain tensioner to a new design with a preload spring to reduce noise from chain slap. This is the tensioner next to the oil filter & is very easy to replace, be sure to pump up the new tensioner with clean engine oil before install. This usually reduces the startup noise considerablly not to mention the excessive wear it causes. If you still have simular rattles you probably have 1 or more clogged tensioners & or lifters that need to be removed & inspected for wear & purged of debris & dirty oil or replaced. Changing to 5w- or 10w- viscosity oil helps minimize overnight leakdown also.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

The chain tensioners have been replaced w new, but I don't know if they are of the latest design. They were purchased from our local Porsche dealer.

Do you know the PN of the new design?

The rattle is still there, and still only at morning startup. Any time during the day there is no rattle.

We have also tried different viscosity oils, from 0W-40 Mobil 1 to 15W-50 Mobil 1. Same noise only at morning startup.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 07-04-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Common for lifters to bleed down causing noise on 1st cold start.

Also there is an air injection pump that only runs on first cold start, for 10-30 seconds, but that is usually a "squeal" or "Vacuum cleaner" noise. The pump lives near your left knee when you are looking into the engine bay. Have someone cold start it while you look, feel, listen to the pump.
DE instructor since 1985
Frank

Last edited by FPB111; 07-04-2011 at 07:48 PM..
Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Using a stethoscope, the noise is definately coming from the chain area. With new tensioners giving the same result, we are tearing what little hair we have out of our heads.

What has Porsche done to upgrade the tensioners and variocam sprockets since 1999?

Wayne, can you suggest anything we can check?

Len

Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bumping this to find out a solution.

I have an early 99 C2 that has developed a loud rattle at startup, sounds like it is coming from the left bank, and it remains but quieter at idle, but disappears when revved a bit, only to return at idle again.

IMS was replaced 15k miles ago along with the clutch, RMS and air injection pump by the previous owner at a very reputable indy.

No CEL or running issues otherwise, just that noise that scares the H@LL out of my checkbook
Old 05-13-2018, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I added a can of Liqui-Moly this afternoon and ran the engine at idle til it warmed up. Shut it down and let sit for a few hrs and started back up much quieter. I did look underneath and there is seep oil on the main tensioner (32mm nut) and one drip on the driveway from it.

Planning to change the tensioner, oil and filter, and do a compression test this weekend.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had the IMS done, new chain guides and tensioners, the works...and there is still a slight rattle at start up after sitting overnight. Some noise is pretty normal. It's hard to judge when loud is too loud.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

its the cam adjusters priming with oil on start up... it is common has the tensioners.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: