Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
99 911 engine swap

I am swapping out the engine in my 99 911 C4, I have a used engine with 71k coming in the end of this week. My question is I know I should check the IMS bearing and the RMS, and probably do the clutch while it's apart, but is there anything else recommended while it out and apart I should be looking for or doing ? Also my car is a 6 speed and the engine is coming from a tiptronic, are all the vacuum lines and everything going to be the same ?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Glad you found an engine for your car. You might want to have a look at the hose that goes to the slave cylinder. If it is moist or has any cracks it should be replaced. They are a bear to get while everything is in the car and while it's out you could just replace it. I think they are under 30 bucks. I don't know about the vacuum lines but the water pump and AOS should be replaced if you do not have records of when they were done.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The Cam chain tensioner wear pads should be replaced with the updated material parts that wear much better & cost $40 since at 70K+ miles they look like this: this:
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good call Bill! That is a chronic issue with the early motors and when they do fail it's really bad. In fact, all of the chain rails are likely looking pretty sad...
'86 944T
'00 Boxster with EBS Racing 3.4 liter engine
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for your input guys, made the appt today to have the following done, the ims bearing, rms and the cam chain tensioners, i am going to do the water pump and the aos myself, doesn't look that hard to do....
Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock99 View Post
Thanks for your input guys, made the appt today to have the following done, the ims bearing, rms and the cam chain tensioners, i am going to do the water pump and the aos myself, doesn't look that hard to do....
WP & AOS is fun to replace while the engine is out!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
So the engine hasn't been delivered just yet, trucking delays of some sorts, But over the weekend someone brought up and interesting point maybe someone could clarify.
my car is a 99 C4 6 speed, the engine I am getting is from a 99 C2 with tiptronic, it's complete, does anybody know if the wiring harness on the engine the same ? or should I swap that out ? couple of people have said yeah it's the same, and a 1 person said no it's not... Better to be safe than sorry and change it out ?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure on wiring harness -- but your connection near the thermostat is different between
a tip and stick

m
1982 928 Euro 4 Speed Automatic
1975 911 RSR Replica Race Car
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You are adapting the "new" engine to fit your car so drop your engine with harness & put it side by side with new engine & transfer your harness to "new" engine along with any other parts missing from "new" engine. There may be wires etc you don't need on the Tip harness.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: