Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hot oily smell on a test drive

I took a nice 2002 C4 out for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. The drive went well, but when we stopped during the drive to get out and have a look around, my wife and I both noticed a hot oil smell. I opened the trunk and sniffed around the engine compartment, but detected nothing. It was more noticeable just beneath the driver's door. Of course, the dealer claimed to have never encountered it. I'm thinking given the location, it's likely an RMS leak. I didn't get a chance to look under the car, but that seems like the most likely issue.

Any thoughts/advise?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you drove the car a bit hard, then it's normal. It's tire dust burning on the mufflers.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hmm... I didn't drive it hard, I had my wife with me in the car. Just a nice drive down the freeway at 80.....
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Tell the dealer you want to see the car up on a lift, if they balk, walk away.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My 2003 smells like burnt oil after a drive. It's normal. Residual cosmoline on the motor I'm told. BTW, my car uses no oil.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I get the burnt rubber smell, not the hot oil, it was concerning at first, but just got used to it as something that had to be normal with the car, as all the inspections I did trying to figure it out came up with nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: