Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Interior wood trim glue suggestions?

My FIL's 996 has light rosewood trim from the factory and some of it has started to lift. You can see in the picture how its lifting from the side vent. What kind of epoxy or glue do you recommend to fix this issue?

Also if anyone has some of these light rosewood pieces laying around he might be interested in purchasing them.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
PORSCHE-PA

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to 75Carrera
That #%•£ wood trim

Jess,
The glue, Porsche must have picked up from a defunct glue factory, was shameful on it's best day. Mine was a mess. Before you try to reglue the piece, heat it with a hair drier to relax the warp. Then a good contact cement/glue should hold it in place. If you don't relax the bend you will be fighting it over and over. Replacement bits from Porsche are obscenely expensive. I got a few on EBay and have repaired other failed pieces. Where access to the glue surface is restricted you may need a hypodermic needle and surenge to get the glue in place neatly. Then tape it down for a full day, out of the sun, and it should lye back in place.
Be careful however, this flimsy laminate is very brittle and will bust if you try to force it.
Personally I dislike the look of the wood trim but my car had it on a car that was way too sweet to pass up over a relatively minor Porsche quality control mistake.
Good luck with your repair.
Donny
'02 996TT, 1967 912, 1976 911S, 95 993 C2 Cabriolet, 76 911S Carrera, 1966 Lotus 7,
DONNY
Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Thank you for the reply Donny. The wood trim wouldn't have been my first choice especially after seeing the cost on the original window sticker but it matches this car well. I found a place in Texas that will supposedly restore the pieces if I mail them and that may be the best option considering the cost.

The primary piece that needs replacement or serious repair is the cluster surround. A large chunk of wood is missing from the left side so I've been watching eBay and the dismantler sites to see one pop up.

I'll update this thread with what we end up doin with the trim.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

3M makes a variety of trim adhesives is multiple colors; look into their catalog for what you need.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
PORSCHE-PA

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to 75Carrera
Adhesive veneers won't usually work on badly cracked, broken, warped or chipped wood interior bits. Glue and repair if you can. I too was watching for some time on EBay and other P-car sites for a replacement center surround bit myself. Finding one the right color and in perfect condition turned out to be impossible. Penski Scottsdale Porsche wanted $1200 for one plus 10.5% tax and more for shipping. Then there's the removal of the old piece and install of the new hopefully without damage. Covering a clean, undamaged bit with the veneer is an option. Too late for my car. So repair and shop for a take off continues...
'02 996TT, 1967 912, 1976 911S, 95 993 C2 Cabriolet, 76 911S Carrera, 1966 Lotus 7,
DONNY
Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSideUp View Post
I'll update this thread with what we end up doin with the trim.
Any updates? Have similar problem, and wondering about feedback from the EBay kits that run around $150 complete.???

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: