Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Soaked Carpets

Very frustrated with 2006 Carrera Coupe. Many, many problems but will save the inventory of historic and current issues for another time; if ever.

Most current pressing item is the soaking of passenger carpet, both front and rear when car experiences rain, either driven or parked. Also happens when driven through car wash. No water on drivers side.

In reviewing other posts I suspect there are clogged drains. Can anyone assist with the location of the drains and how I can go about clearing? Also, are there other culprits that can cause the soaking.

Car has spent approx 50% of its life outdoors, but not near trees.

Live in Florida, so you might imagine this problem seriously restricts the amount of driving I can enjoy.

Any guidance is very much appreciated.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Has the door panel ever been off? If so check the waterproof membrane between the panel and door frame for gaps/rips/missing sealant around the edge, etc. Also check the drains in the bottom of the door.
DE instructor since 1985
Frank
Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As far as I know, door panels have not been removed. Appreciate the suggestion.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had the same problem with my 996. The solution was to clean the two cowl drains, one on each side of the battery box. The left drain is hidden under the brake master cylinder, and a bit of a pain to access. The right drain is directly accessible. After removing years of matted crap, I no longer have wet carpets.

Dave
Old 05-29-2014, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I'll try the cowl drains and see if that's it.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had wet carpet too and it was not clogged drains. Where the drain tubes attaches to the sunroof tracks, there are plastic adapters that are sealed with caulking. Mine were dried out and leaking at that junction running down the headliner into the carpet. I removed and used a RTV to reseal. No issues since then.

87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: