Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
XLR8'd Member

Garage
991 2011 PDK or 7-speed decision

I'm on the market to buy a 2010 or 2011 but likely the newer 991 platform.
I spend about 50% of time in traffic but love my others drives and 2-3 times per summer on the traffic lapping.

Question: Will I regret PDK ?

David
05 Acura MDX (toy hauler)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/david_84_911
Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
tough question, I would love to know as well- subd.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
XLR8'd Member

Garage
I borrowed a buddy's 997 TT for a weekend with PDK and it really got me thinking but then again its a TT so hard not to dislike the thrust under any circumstance.
05 Acura MDX (toy hauler)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/david_84_911
Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I prefer the manual transmission for sure, only you can make that decision. Good luck
Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I went from a Boxster S with 6 speed manual to 991 S cab with pdk. Never could master heel and toe in the Boxster like I could in my 968. I think it was the throttle by wire that had some sort of random delay.
Anyway I haven't missed shifting a bit. I do use the button shifters most of the time. But if I'm eating a Big Mac or something it's nice to have the car in auto mode.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

once you drive the PDK .. shifting a manual is slow and bothersome..
PDK all the way ..
its faster and makes the engine s sound sooo good on the downshifts and up-shift song
Old 06-14-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Occasional User

My 2009 Cayman S was PDK, and it was both amazing and somehow boring at the same time. An amazing piece of engineering, to be sure. The earlier PDK cars do not sound great - except when you stomp on the gas. Later PDK cars added the sound symposer - not quite fake sound piped in to the cabin - I think it amplifies the intake noise. The 981 PDK sounded great inside the car - 987 not so much.

That said, I don't think the 7 speed manual on 911 is a great choice either. 1 too many gears

My ultimate choice would be the 6 speed GT3 or 911R with the improved gear ratios - if money were no object!

I doubt you would regret either PDK or manual. They are just different.
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 06-20-2018, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
Being a manual gearbox guy from my youth I was a bit incredulous of the PDK. After much research I ended up with an outstanding low mileage 09 Carrera S with PDK. I can say hands down the PDK is the best gearbox I've ever seen. It shifts faster and more precise than a human possibly could, and if you get one with launch control it negates any advantage the manual might have had off the line. In sport plus mode at full throttle it shifts so hard it literally throws the car forward with each gear change, but put it in normal driving mode and your mom could drive it to the store like a normal car. Its pretty amazing.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

PDK is incredible technology. I find it substantially faster than a manual transmission. There is still something missing from it vs. a manual though! It's ultimately up to how you feel about controlling every aspect of your drive experience.
Porsche Build Sheets: https://vinanalytics.com
Old 07-12-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I prefer manual but the PDK is excellent engineering marvel!
Porsche Build Sheets: https://vinanalytics.com
Old 07-12-2018, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi, My thoughts on this is: All depends on what city are you driving it. What type of traffic do you have. The manual transmition is great when there are no cars on the streets, for example on weekends etc etc. but it may become bad when you are stuck in traffic, you will miss automatic shifter. So my advise is: pay close attention to the days, the hours and the streets that you are going to be driving the car.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: