Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Curt (guest)

My 2001 996 turbo spoiler, bottom of the left hydraulic motor has developed a small oil leak at the protruding bolt. Dealer advises replacement of full unit at $3,000.00. Unit works fine, spoiler works fine. Can I simply replace a seal at the visible point of the oil leak around the small protruding bolt? Will I also need to disconnect the battery? If so, do I then need to have the computer reset by the dealer? Is this something that can be competently done by an independent shop? Not driving car now due to fear of oil fire from the small drip. Your thoughts? Help appreciated.
Curt

This post was auto-generated based upon a question asked on our tech article page here: Porsche 911 Carrera Rear Wing Installation - 996 (1998-2005) - 997 (2005-2012) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

OK, the turbo hydraulic spoiler rams are a known issue, usually the drip you see below is from the ram itself, not the fitting you see at the bottom of the ram. You shouldn't have to disconnect the battery, BUT if you open the system you will need to fill and bleed the system...this is usually done with both the rams and the pump out of the car. I say drive the car, that amount of oil is not a fire hazard. Eventually you will get a "Spoiler Control" Fault on the instrument cluster. That is when I would perform the update and replace both rams and bleed the system.

- Casey
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Also look into the electric ram kit for replacement instead of factory system. Many have them and are very happy to get rid of the hydraulic actuation.
996 Turbo eRam Electric Wing Actuation Kit - Rennkit - Rennkit
DE instructor since 1985
Frank

Last edited by FPB111; 03-21-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPB111 View Post
Also look into the electric ram kit for replacement instead of factory system. Many have them and are very happy to get rid of the hydraulic actuation.
996 Turbo eRam Electric Wing Actuation Kit - Rennkit - Rennkit
Thanks for the plug, yes our motto is NO MORE HYDRAULICS! You can also find a few videos of the many eRam systems on our YouTube RENNKIT channel.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: