Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I got to rant a bit

I changed the transmission fluid on my wife's 997s with tiptronic and what a effing pain.

1. The fill plug and drain plus are tiny. The flll hole is so small the smallest hose attached to the hand pump would not fit. I had to find a small copper tubing to attach to the end of the pump so that I can fill up the transmission

2. What? 45 minutes of warming up the gear box so that I can fill the oil to the appropriate level? Nobody I know would put up with an engine oil duration of 45 minutes. Why would anyone put up with waiting 45 minutes to find out if your gearbox is filled with oil?

I used to have a 1976 Ford Maverick with an automatic transmission. The fill tube is way at the top of the engine, with a long dip stick which has 2 marks, one for cold and one for hot. You can fill it up at any temperature and it takes 3 minutes. Why does this stupid tiptronic NOT have such an easy design? Which engineer thought that having a tiny fill port at the bottom of the car is the right thing to do? You need to be fired.

3. Then after an hour of waiting, refilling to the brim of the fill port, I was only able to add 2 Liters instead of a full gallon that I took out (I measured, I am not stupid). I knew it was low, but according to the book, that is all I could do. This morning, the effing thing shifted funny. So now I have to get it back on the rack tonight to fill it up some more, after waiting 45 mins to warm up.

There has to be a better way. Yes, I know. Don't buy a tipt. Never again. Eff that.
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I changed the transmission fluid on my wife's 997s with tiptronic and what a effing pain.

1. The fill plug and drain plus are tiny. The flll hole is so small the smallest hose attached to the hand pump would not fit. I had to find a small copper tubing to attach to the end of the pump so that I can fill up the transmission

2. What? 45 minutes of warming up the gear box so that I can fill the oil to the appropriate level? Nobody I know would put up with an engine oil measurement duration of 45 minutes. Why would anyone put up with waiting 45 minutes to find out if your gearbox is filled with oil?

I used to have a 1976 Ford Maverick with an automatic transmission. The fill tube is way at the top of the engine, with a long dip stick which has 2 marks, one for cold and one for hot. You can fill it up at any temperature and it takes 3 minutes. Why does this stupid tiptronic NOT have such an easy design? Which engineer thought that having a tiny fill port at the bottom of the car is the right thing to do? You need to be fired.

3. Then after an hour of waiting, refilling to the brim of the fill port, I was only able to add 2 Liters instead of a full gallon that I took out (I measured, I am not stupid). I knew it was low, but according to the book, that is all I could do. This morning, the effing thing shifted funny. So now I have to get it back on the rack tonight to fill it up some more, after waiting 45 mins to warm up.

There has to be a better way. Yes, I know. Don't buy a tipt. Never again. Eff that.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 06-07-2017, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I am about to do the same. I also have a Benz W210 supposedly with the same transmission, on which I have changed the fluid many times. Granted the fill tube is much bigger and easier to access. I read the hand pump from a shampoo bottle works well. 30-45 warmup time really isn't that much while you are cleaning up, going the to bathroom and having a sandwich. Make sure the car is leveled and fill it again. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, he could always sell it on and find another Maverick because they are easier to work on......
Old 06-09-2017, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

YelCab,
I absolutely agree.
There are several things about that Porsche that are absolutely aggravating, if not unconscionable, considering the amount of engineering (and the cost!) that goes into the car.
To use the excuse of "it's a porsche", and "if you can't afford it, don't get one", or "take it to a dealer" or "these cars are not meant to be worked on by their owners" is unwarranted arrogance and stupid elitism.

Seems like there remains a thread of "a**holed-ness" from the days in the 70s and 80s at Porsche, when they could not design an adequate airconditioning unit, when even the cheapest entry level Japanese car had superior AC units.

I think it all boils down to PEOPLE!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

But what a good husband you are--letting her have an easier to drive Tiptronic.

You get all sorts of points for that!

dan
Old 06-27-2017, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: