Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 996 C4S advice

I wanted to get some advise. I have been on the look out for a nice clean C4S year hasn't been an real concern. I like them all, just want to have the extra power and since I live in MN wanted the all wheel drive. plan to drive the car all year round. found this one online at a local dealership. they have it up for sale as a mechanics special. 19,977.00. looked at the car, looks great. one issue, engine has scoring on cylinder 6, talked to a few shops and total engine rebuild, if not total swap is in order. the prices at which these cars are selling at with little to no issues this one seem very high. to make it even a possible choice the car would have to be in that 5-10,000 knowing what is needed. it has 60,000 miles so I am sure it needs a lot of other service maintenance while it is up on the rack. Am I off base with my thoughts on this, and this would be a good buy even with the work? or is this a walk a way unless the price is better knowing that it needs about 15-20,000.00 worth of work to do.

Thank you for all the incite you may have.

Link to the car in question:

Used 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S for Sale in Eden Prarie MN 55344 U Car Connect
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You are going to pay $20K for a car that needs a new cylinder liner and piston at a minimum?

I'd keep looking.............
Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
+1 I'd find another one that requires less right off the bat. Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

With no service records for 40,000 miles and needing a new engine, I would run far far away
Old 06-20-2017, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thank all, that was what I was thinking as well, the car was so nice on the outside, just that engine issue. I will continue to look, thought this was going to be the one.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Keep looking
Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

found a couple C4S in Chicago this week. going to be on the look and getting more info on them and see what pans out. in the meantime, the local Porsche club here in MN had an event that I went to and was able to drool on a few there.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Let us know how it goes and be sure to take a look at our articles below to give you an idea for what to look out for when you go check it out. Don't forget to update us and let us know if you end up purchasing it. Good luck!

Porsche 911 (1998-2012) Technical Articles - Porsche 996 & Porsche 997 - Pelican Parts
Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

will do, thank you all again for setting me right. I have been on the look out for the right car for years. always looking at c4s's. MN I plan on driving all year round. just needed to hear I from others that this was a no go. look for some updates soon.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mn c4s

SharkSkinDesign,

I'm also from MN...and own a C4S. I saw the ad a couple weeks ago, can't imagine how the math could work out. Hang tight, you'll find the right one. The 996 C4S is a great car, worth the search.
SS Lines, Momo Steering Wheel, H4's
Old 06-28-2017, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

very nice, nice deep color, I like the wide body look of the c4s. always been my favorite.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I've stopped by that dealer a few times over the years and they want crazy money for their cars, then go bananas when you offer fair market value. Keep looking, one will come up. Also, keep in mind that, while the evidence is all anecdotal, some people believe there is a correlation between cold weather usage and cylinder scoring based on the number of occurrences in cold vs warm climates.

Last edited by black_falcon; 07-01-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

interesting, I never thought of that. What could one do to help alleviate that issue say here in MN and other cold weather areas. My plan is to drive this all year round. Its a car and it wants to be driven. so I want to enjoy it all year round.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on correlation between cold and cylinder scoring and/or D-chunking. Head over to the 996 forum on Rennlist and do a search. Lots of conversation on opinion over there. But Jake Raby of Flat Six feels there is some connection and that's good enough for me.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

thank you, I will check it out
Old 07-11-2017, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Wondering how they know the cylinder is scored. Short of a tear down I don't know how they would know that. Don't know if you could even see that with a bore scope. if you could even get a bore scope in the cylinder. It's good they told you, but I would wonder if anything else was wrong. With that said a new engine is basically what the car is worth. Unless you can rebuild it yourself it doesn't make sense money wise.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

from what I was told they previouse owner had it in at imola motor sports here in MN for service and they told the owner. he then traded it in on a new one at Carousel Porsche in Minnapolis. from their it went to auction and Ucar purchased it for way too much and now is stuck with it. Ucar took it to the same Imola motorsport to have it check and they had already done it so they didn't need to do a full inspection. the rest of the car is perfect. very nice, just a shame. it is what I have been looking for.

I did find this one, any one in CA near here to check it out

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?entit ySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c3392&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c22061&radius=50000&zip=55044&trimNames=NONE_NONE&trimLevelNames=NONE_NONE&colors=NONE_NONE&utm_term=2017-07-26&utm_campaign=1-1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dealfinderSubscription&utm_content=bodyPriceChangesViewDetailsCTA#listing =180647657
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
996 , c4s , engine block , rebuilt engine