Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New engine

Try to be quick here. Bought my 03 996 back about 2 years ago. I was told at the time the engine had been replaced about 20,000 mile prior by Jake Raby. (yes the Jake Raby of Flat 6 innovations) I recently spoke directly with Jake and he informed me that he DID NOT replace that engine. He had worked on it, but had only replaced to AOS. I had posted on here previously about how could I tell if the engine had actually been replaced. I was told that the engine number (if replacement) would have an "AT" in the number. After taking with Jake and getting that scary info I put it up on ramps and found the engine number did an "AT" in it. (M96/03AT 66565580)

I called the local dealer and all they could tell me was what the engine number was not the one that came in my car and confirmed that this one was not it obviously. He did tell me that this new engine did have the post 2005 modifications/redesigns, whatever that is suppose to mean.

My question is does any one know of anyway I can track down where this engine might have been sold or installed? Mainly for my peace of mind. And, what is the difference between the M96 engine that originally came in my car and the one with the post 2005 modification/redesign?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The engine is a factory warranty replacement. Who knows where it was installed. You might have to track where it was originally sold and follow from there. (Carfax??) The factory replacements for the M96 996's had the M97 997 style non-serviceable' IMS bearing. That means you cannot replace it without a full engine teardown. The good news is that the bearing has a better track record (lower failure rate) than the previous single row bearing.
So what to do...? Drive the car, use good oil and change frequently (3000k), install an oil filter adapter for the spin on filter.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjersr View Post
Try to be quick here. Bought my 03 996 back about 2 years ago. I was told at the time the engine had been replaced about 20,000 mile prior by Jake Raby. (yes the Jake Raby of Flat 6 innovations) I recently spoke directly with Jake and he informed me that he DID NOT replace that engine. He had worked on it, but had only replaced to AOS. I had posted on here previously about how could I tell if the engine had actually been replaced. I was told that the engine number (if replacement) would have an "AT" in the number. After taking with Jake and getting that scary info I put it up on ramps and found the engine number did an "AT" in it. (M96/03AT 66565580)

I called the local dealer and all they could tell me was what the engine number was not the one that came in my car and confirmed that this one was not it obviously. He did tell me that this new engine did have the post 2005 modifications/redesigns, whatever that is suppose to mean.

My question is does any one know of anyway I can track down where this engine might have been sold or installed? Mainly for my peace of mind. And, what is the difference between the M96 engine that originally came in my car and the one with the post 2005 modification/redesign?
Engine serial numbers have 8 digits.

1st digit - No of Cylinders

2nd digit - Engine Version

3rd digit - Model Year

4th-8th digit - Serial Number

Yours would appear to be a 2005 factory reman engine.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks everyone I appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: