Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry 1999 996 Bank 1 Senesor 1 comm issue - sensor ok

Ok, so here goes. The car has never flooded out but it does seem that the drain needs to be cleaned out. Car was always garaged.. Sat for 5 months while away on buisniness. Came home put in battery. Drove a bit, however had to leave outside. So I get an oil change done and all is fine. Then I decide to go for a drive - mind you it has down poured every day in Florida for a while now. Didn't notice water was getting into back seat foam and back floor board behind driver seat. I think you may know where this is going...so Pull out to drive and check engine light comes on. Bank one sensor 1 no communication. Check O2 sensor - swap bank 1 and 2 precat. Same thing bank 1 sensor one no communication. Disconnect ECU to tone out line because wire 19 ohm reading doesn't match the good sensor connector reading . Left, good reading Ow Sensor Silver to gold - 7.29, 7.29 1.1 - then right O2 sensor same order: 7.29 1.1.1, So thought I had it - find the broken wire...too easy...Disconnect ECU, Tone wire from plug in engine, full tone at the ECU...Hmmmmm. So I start reading more and more, notice the Fuel system is stuck in an open state same side.1, So never getting a closed loop system, perhaps a bad ground. So I pull out the carpet and seats etc. it's damp but not soaked, I clean all the connectors on the lower side wall going to the Immobilizer (Cool name - keep thinking of Swartwenhager in Terminator...lol). I see no visual breaks. Oh, and when I ran the toner on the bad side - the tone must have woken up the ECU because now it reads 7.29, So here I am on the phone with a place in Tampa, guy says, hmmmm, horn alarm goes off no reason and n o open loop no sensor activity P0134 bank 1 sensor 1. You need a new immobilizer. So I pull it out again, of course never in public, ha ha - ( yeah gotta have a sense of humor, have had the car 3 years put on 6k miles and selling it for 24k, lost the sale cause I'm honest and could not get the check engine light to stay off. However, I never really drove it, but now I've absolutely fallen in love with this car and am having a blast. So I'm probably gonna keep it. Only 65k miles on it and zero fluid leaks, just idle slight bumping and O2 sensor issue , Open fuel system. Probably all related as well as the alarm just freaking going off to piss all of us off at random times. `So I have the immobilizer singing next to me. Thought it looked ok the other evening but now did a very close in section and may have some corrosion but not obvious to the naked eye without the magnifier. I have read on here to use electronic parts cleaner and alcohol and wanted to get validation that this might be the correct thing to do. Then let it dry for at least half hour. The thread I saw said use a hair dryer, but I have an industrial shop fan in my home to move air and give some white noise, thinking that may be enough to just put the Immobilizer on a leather. Ottoman with fan blowing towards it but not directly on it. Any ideas folks and is it true that the immobilize is what tells the ECU to close the Fuel system and allows it get a good read of the O2 sensor?

Trying to get as much technical information on the functionality, wiring and interface specifics between the O@ sensor, ECU and Immobilizer - I'm pretty clear on the ECU to Immobilizer and voltage sent to the ECU, but if there is no broken wire, what is the interface from ECU to Immobilizer and which part tells which to do what? Thanks and am I ok cleaning this thing as long as I am sure its dry. PS worked on pic and server and network hardware for years, but now software consultant and PM so I'm technical but not well versed yet to understand the sensitivity surrounding these boards...
Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
966 , open loop fuel , p1034 , random alarm