Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest ABS/PSM fault (driven in heavy rain)

Well, I've done a few searches amongst multiple forums and it seems like a MAF issue causing my ABS and PSM light to come on. But not only did I get that error but my car lost power. I couldn't step on the gas and get the car moving without it bogging down and basically stalling.
Turn key off and back on cleared the faults but I got crappy throttle response.
Oh and it was pouring rain. The car never had any issues before so I can only speculate that the rain had something to do with it.
I have a 2003 996 4S with a GT2 rear wing and the K&N intake. The issue I can come up with is that the rain or moisture gets sucked up thru the KN cone filter and it's maybe "coating" or "misting" the MAF sensor (not sure what word to use there)
I noticed that where the MAF bolts into the K&N tube ther was water on top of that. And the rubber gasket wasn't really tight and when I pushed down on the MAF housing I could see water being squeezed out.

So I may have answered my question on why it's happening I just want to find out and ask if there could possibly be something else that got wet. Anything beside that MAF that would cause this. My main concern is the loss of power under higher RPM. Or shall I say higher vacuum not necessarily rpm but if my foot floors the pedal even at 1500rpm or even at 2000rpm. Or Whatever.

I've read a few remedies like a brake light switch, low fluid or a clock spring in the ignition that caused the fault. No one seemed to have loss of power.

I'm just asking out there to get more expert diagnosis from you all. And basically know if I should not drive the car in the rain ever again. (Unless I go back to the stock intake)

One more thing, I recently replaced the starter and was really carefully reinstalling everything. Car ran fine to work, no rain . But leaving work it was fine for about 15miles mostly stop and go traffic but in the pouring rain. When the issues started.

I'll let you all know next time i drive it in the dry and see if it does the same thing in the dry.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

...follow up. It must've been the MAF. Drove it today without any issues.
Now I'm still not sure if I should ever drive in the rain with the K&N system.
I'm not sure if my GT2 wing causes more rain to go thru. Don't have anything to compare. But I'm sure that where the stock wing was installed there are now empty holes. One hole is right above the MAF connection, that with the loose MAF gasket might have been the root cause of my symptoms. But if a K&N type come filter gets wet that I'm guessing moisture or water could get in easier.
Contemplating on returning to the stock air box.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: