Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is this normal on startup?

I am the new owner of a 1999' 911 Carrera coupe.

I notice on start-up a loud fan running at high speed turns on. Sound seems to be coming from drivers side front?

The noise sounds excessive. Like the fan is running full blast. After about 3-4 minutes the fan shuts down (or slows down) and I can no longer hear it.

Does this every time I start car in 'Cold' condition. Doesn't seem to happen if I drive around and stop and then start again say after stopping at a store.

the car runs perfect otherwise. Just that VERY loud fan running at high speed on cold start for 3-4 minutes.

Normal?

thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

it's probably the SAI (secondary air injection) that sometimes sounds like a hair dryer
it's in the engine compartment on the drivers side next to the coolant tank
it comes on for a min or 2 at cold start
try unplugging it before you do the next cold start and see if the noise is still there
Old 10-13-2017, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Normal the Secondary Air Injection pump is a pollution device that helps light the cats quickly. If the fan is really LOUD it might need to be disassembled and cleaned. Search the web for cleaning 996 SAI fan. If it fails a new one is available from Bosch, you have to reuse the Porsche bracket, for under $300 or the same one in a Porsche box is available for ~ $1,100.
When you unplug it you will get a CEL. Plug it back in and after a number, 1 - 100?, Of successful starts the light should reset.
DE instructor since 1985
Frank

Last edited by FPB111; 10-14-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Old 10-14-2017, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
OP states a fan in the front of car, not in the engine compartment.
I feel he's talking about one of the radiator fans in the front wheel fenders. I believe those radiator cooling fans should only turn on when they get a signal that the coolant has become hot beyond normal operating temperature.
I'm sensing that there's going to be a sensor or a resistor or a bad switch or relay that is going to be involved with this resolution.
Electrical gremlin(s): aaargh !
Old 10-15-2017, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

If he's starting the car in the garage, it could sound like it's coming from the front
Also, if the AC is on, the fans come on as well - maybe the OP has the climate control set on AC?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: