Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
CEL Came On Today

I have a 2003 Porsche 996 Targa. I drove the kids to school and then to work this morning. It was low 40's, and the car ran fine, nothing new...Then, when going out to eat lunch, I started the car, and 30 seconds later the "CEL, drive to a shop" light came on. I drove to lunch, picked up the kids, and then home w/o any issues.

Any quick idea's before taking it to get checked out at Advance Auto?

What is a decent, easy to read, code reader out there for the home semi-mechanic? We have a Honda Ridgeline and Honda Odyssey as well, and it would be nice to get a universal code reader.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A basic code reader will give you codes to start trouble shooting from. You can also go to Autozone or a shop like that and they'll plug in and give you the codes the car is throwing. Post the code and then the conversation can continue. There's lots of good help here.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Noble View Post
I have a 2003 Porsche 996 Targa. I drove the kids to school and then to work this morning. It was low 40's, and the car ran fine, nothing new...Then, when going out to eat lunch, I started the car, and 30 seconds later the "CEL, drive to a shop" light came on. I drove to lunch, picked up the kids, and then home w/o any issues.

Any quick idea's before taking it to get checked out at Advance Auto?

What is a decent, easy to read, code reader out there for the home semi-mechanic? We have a Honda Ridgeline and Honda Odyssey as well, and it would be nice to get a universal code reader.

Thanks!
Hi Phil - I'm attaching a link to our code readers, please let us know if you have any questions! As Tony mentioned, the Pelican community is filled with a ton of knowledge; so any issues you encounter are likely ones that our members have already gone through.

Code Readers - PelicanParts.com
Old 10-25-2017, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Tony & Dmitry! I will go to Advance tomorrow and get the code that it is throwing and post back here.

Are any of the code readers pretty much fool proof and super easy to use? Which one(s) would work on the Porsche and our Honda's?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 10-25-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
A friend's 996 Turbo turned on a CEL-Drive To Shop light for a "catalyst" code, relating to an oxygen/O2 sensor beyond the cat.converter on one of the two engine banks. We've cleared the code twice now (with a decoder) awaiting it to relight for the 3rd time.

When I mentioned this to another friend who happens to be a Porsche dealership service department manager, he informed me that Porsche cat.converters are usable for approximately 80,000 miles.

My friend's turbo 996 has less miles than 80K, and he's tried to help the situation by blowing the cat.converters clean while at engine operating temperature and doing pedal-to-the-floor high-acceleration speed runs in "safe zones".

...anticipating your car's code number(s) with decoder's description...
Old 10-25-2017, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a bank 2 cat failure too. I ran two tanks of non-ethanol fuel. Check engine light went off. Now I only run non-ethanol fuel.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

You should consider one of the more specialized units also. All manufacturers are required to have standardized pollution codes. That said there are many codes and operational checks that a Durametric, or similar, manufacturer code reader will enable you more detailed access and control.

Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric

or
Diagnostic Superstore - iCarsoft Porsche POR II
DE instructor since 1985
Frank
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
So, this morning Brutus(my Scarlet & Gray 996) changed its mind and is not throwing a CEL, or telling me to "drive to a shop." I even drove a few miles just now during my lunch.

Do I still have the code read, or wait to see if it comes back on?

I read last night that it could have thrown a CEL because I put the key in the ignition, but did not immediately start the car.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Frank-

I will look at those code readers as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Noble View Post
So, this morning Brutus(my Scarlet & Gray 996) changed its mind and is not throwing a CEL, or telling me to "drive to a shop." I even drove a few miles just now during my lunch.

Do I still have the code read, or wait to see if it comes back on?

I read last night that it could have thrown a CEL because I put the key in the ignition, but did not immediately start the car.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil
Still read the code so you are prepared if/when it happens again. It could be early symptoms of a problem.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch997 View Post
Still read the code so you are prepared if/when it happens again. It could be early symptoms of a problem.
That's what I was thinking!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: