Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Pelican Parts Technical BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 996/997/991 Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-996-997-991-forum/)
-   -   AOS replace (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-996-997-991-forum/977150-aos-replace.html)

abporsche1 11-10-2017 08:51 AM

AOS replace

Time estimates to replace? Opinions on engine in or out? Any other repair/replace "while your in there"?
Barry

Dmitry at Pelican Parts 11-10-2017 11:06 AM

Hi Barry - take a look at the link below to a link from our site's DIY tech articles on the procedure. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Porsche 911 Air Oil Separator Replacement - 996 (1998-2005) - 997 (2005-2012) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

abporsche1 11-10-2017 11:46 AM

Thanks Dmitry, I did scan over but not read all the article. I'm busy pouring time and $ into a remodel. Knowing the hrs it takes to do the AOS tells me what to budget for that too. I could do it myself, but time won't allow.
Barry

JFP in PA 11-10-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abporsche1 (Post 9810105)
Thanks Dmitry, I did scan over but not read all the article. I'm busy pouring time and $ into a remodel. Knowing the hrs it takes to do the AOS tells me what to budget for that too. I could do it myself, but time won't allow.
Barry

A decent shop should charge you about 1-1.5 hours

JFP in PA 11-10-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abporsche1 (Post 9810105)
Barry

A decent shop should charge you about 1-1.5 hours for a Boxster; 3-4 hours on a 911 variant.

abporsche1 11-10-2017 04:13 PM

Thanks JFP. You inadvertently pointed out I should have a signature. Let's see.....

TNT79Bronco 11-16-2017 01:54 PM

I will give you a slightly different perspective on going about replacing the AOS on an engine. I have done it twice, on two of the 996's I have owned. Granted, both of the times were on project cars, that needed to have an engine swap done anyway, but I was sooooo glad that the engine was out to replace the AOS and even associated hoses. While the engine was out, not only did I address the AOS, but I also was able to easily replace the water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, starter, misc sensors, alternator, belt, RMS, and the coolant reservoir. Had either of them been a 6 speed, I would have done the clutch at the same time. I was also able to check for any leaks and address them at the same time. It was also a good time to clean the engine, which will help with any future leak identification.

If you aren't worried about all those other items I mentioned, or if the car has low enough miles that it isn't an issue, then just address the AOS.

I guess what I am saying, is that if the AOS is bad, the car might have enough miles on it to just drop the engine, and make sure you can address as much of the stuff at once, without having to pay for duplicate labor and have peace of mind knowing that it is ready to rock for another 50,000 to 100,000 with those items changed.

I also realize that I saved a ton on labor costs doing it myself, and that allows me the flexibility to buy my own parts and take my time. A luxury not everyone has.

yelcab1 11-16-2017 02:01 PM

I don't think I can do this in 4 hours with the engine in a car for a 996 and I have dropped 20 911 engines in all years. This is not my first rodeo. The access to the AOS at the left hand front side is way too severe. With the gearbox out of the car, maybe. With the engine out, it is a much more manageable job.

ltusler 11-16-2017 02:55 PM

IMHO the Bronco has it right.

abporsche1 11-16-2017 05:32 PM

Bronco answers my 2nd & 3rd question, thanks. The time it takes will be relative amongst the many good Porsche shops around here.

My initial question was because of milkshake sludge in the oil filler - thinking a failing AOS can cause it. So there's another question, what causes the sludge?

Last weekend I did the vacuum test side by side with a 2003 C4S with a known good AOS, both were sucking similar and were relatively easy to remove.

tonythetarga 11-17-2017 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abporsche1 (Post 9817495)
Bronco answers my 2nd & 3rd question, thanks. The time it takes will be relative amongst the many good Porsche shops around here.

My initial question was because of milkshake sludge in the oil filler - thinking a failing AOS can cause it. So there's another question, what causes the sludge?

Last weekend I did the vacuum test side by side with a 2003 C4S with a known good AOS, both were sucking similar and were relatively easy to remove.

Oil sludge is possibly engine oil and coolant intermix. Id investigate that before buying an AOS.