Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

AOS replace

Time estimates to replace? Opinions on engine in or out? Any other repair/replace "while your in there"?
Barry
Old 11-10-2017, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hi Barry - take a look at the link below to a link from our site's DIY tech articles on the procedure. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Porsche 911 Air Oil Separator Replacement - 996 (1998-2005) - 997 (2005-2012) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dmitry, I did scan over but not read all the article. I'm busy pouring time and $ into a remodel. Knowing the hrs it takes to do the AOS tells me what to budget for that too. I could do it myself, but time won't allow.
Barry
Old 11-10-2017, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abporsche1 View Post
Thanks Dmitry, I did scan over but not read all the article. I'm busy pouring time and $ into a remodel. Knowing the hrs it takes to do the AOS tells me what to budget for that too. I could do it myself, but time won't allow.
Barry
A decent shop should charge you about 1-1.5 hours
Old 11-10-2017, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Barry
A decent shop should charge you about 1-1.5 hours for a Boxster; 3-4 hours on a 911 variant.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks JFP. You inadvertently pointed out I should have a signature. Let's see.....
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I will give you a slightly different perspective on going about replacing the AOS on an engine. I have done it twice, on two of the 996's I have owned. Granted, both of the times were on project cars, that needed to have an engine swap done anyway, but I was sooooo glad that the engine was out to replace the AOS and even associated hoses. While the engine was out, not only did I address the AOS, but I also was able to easily replace the water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, starter, misc sensors, alternator, belt, RMS, and the coolant reservoir. Had either of them been a 6 speed, I would have done the clutch at the same time. I was also able to check for any leaks and address them at the same time. It was also a good time to clean the engine, which will help with any future leak identification.

If you aren't worried about all those other items I mentioned, or if the car has low enough miles that it isn't an issue, then just address the AOS.

I guess what I am saying, is that if the AOS is bad, the car might have enough miles on it to just drop the engine, and make sure you can address as much of the stuff at once, without having to pay for duplicate labor and have peace of mind knowing that it is ready to rock for another 50,000 to 100,000 with those items changed.

I also realize that I saved a ton on labor costs doing it myself, and that allows me the flexibility to buy my own parts and take my time. A luxury not everyone has.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't think I can do this in 4 hours with the engine in a car for a 996 and I have dropped 20 911 engines in all years. This is not my first rodeo. The access to the AOS at the left hand front side is way too severe. With the gearbox out of the car, maybe. With the engine out, it is a much more manageable job.
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 11-16-2017, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

IMHO the Bronco has it right.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Bronco answers my 2nd & 3rd question, thanks. The time it takes will be relative amongst the many good Porsche shops around here.

My initial question was because of milkshake sludge in the oil filler - thinking a failing AOS can cause it. So there's another question, what causes the sludge?

Last weekend I did the vacuum test side by side with a 2003 C4S with a known good AOS, both were sucking similar and were relatively easy to remove.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Bronco answers my 2nd & 3rd question, thanks. The time it takes will be relative amongst the many good Porsche shops around here.

My initial question was because of milkshake sludge in the oil filler - thinking a failing AOS can cause it. So there's another question, what causes the sludge?

Last weekend I did the vacuum test side by side with a 2003 C4S with a known good AOS, both were sucking similar and were relatively easy to remove.
Oil sludge is possibly engine oil and coolant intermix. Iíd investigate that before buying an AOS.
Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: