Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
996 Tiptronic Shift Improvement

New-ish to the water cooled 911s and looking for some input on tiptronic shift modifications. Along with the 356, 911 and 930 exhaust business (M&K and RarlyL8 MS) I manage a restoration shop where we perform service, repairs, modifications, and full restorations on all types of Porsches and a few other European makes. We are seeing more and more 996's in for everything from IMS bearing replacement to full rebuilds due to engine failure.
The exposure to these cars has changed my perception of them, to the point where I purchased one. I absolutely love this car! It feels 911, it drives as if on rails, looks the part, and is so easy to operate. The plan when I bought it was to use the car as an R&D mule to design an exhaust system for the 996 and 997. The choice to go with a tiptronic trans was made for several reasons such as no PITA clutching in the mountains where I live during stop and go rush hour traffic, and so my wife and kids can drive the car without worry of smoking the clutch on a hill. It's just easier for everyone.
SO this leads me to my question. None of the 996 tiptronic cars I have driven shift quick enough or hard enough. I know there are 5 maps used which change depending on throttle input and it is just fine to have slushy shifting when doddling around, but I want the trans to shift quick and hard when I get on it. I've researched re-programming the maps and so far come up zero. Same for modifications to the transmission itself. So what have you guys done and what are your impressions?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche uses a proprietary logic system to control the Tip, and changing it requires reprogramming the Tip control unit, which very few people outside of Siemens can do. Evolution Motorsports used to advertise complete control units for the 997 Turbo tip for around $1K, but I don't know if they still offer it.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks for the tip (pun intended)!
Fortunately I live in Rocket City where you can't throw a stone without hitting an Electrical Engineer. One of my contacts used to work for Siemens and can probably help. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2017, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Good info. I just picked up a 996/911 with a tiptronic on Wednesday.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: