Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Newbie needing guidance on maintenance intervals

Hi Fella's,
New to this board and porsche all togther. Super excited to be buying a 1999 996 with 97k miles. Car has no paperwork whatsoever. Needing to know where I can get info on maintenance intervals so I can baseline the car. Plan on doing clutch, IMS, flywheel myself. Thanks for a great forum and tech articles.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Google has the service interval. My policy is when in doubt, do everything. Donít forget the brake fluid and transmission oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As part of the baseline, it is worthwhile to have the used oil tested. Blackstone Labs is one of the best and most often recommended here. I have been using them for my cars for a number of years. For each oil change you get a breakdown of ingredients and appropriate levels as a range, and actual levels of your oil in comparison. Each subsequent oil change is tracked for that car and you have columns of historical data to compare side by side. It about 25 bucks for the analysis, which, to me is well worth the piece of mind I get from knowing my engine isn't on the verge of detonating.
BTW, welcome to the board. Another DIY you may want to undertake at some point is to remove the front bumper cover and look between the A/C condenser and the rad at each corner. You may be blown away by the amount of crud you will clean out. Since there cars are VERY temperature sensitive, it is very important to do. I've done it with my '99 911 as well as the '98 Boxster I had after it and have it on the to do list this year on my Cayman S.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain173 View Post
Hi Fella's,
New to this board and porsche all togther. Super excited to be buying a 1999 996 with 97k miles. Car has no paperwork whatsoever. Needing to know where I can get info on maintenance intervals so I can baseline the car. Plan on doing clutch, IMS, flywheel myself. Thanks for a great forum and tech articles.
Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new ride - post some photos of it. As you can see, we have a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful members on the forum. In addition, please utilize our extensive DIY tech article for your 996; I'm attaching a link below. Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist with any part needs!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/996_tech.htm
Old 01-16-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

On its way to its new home, canít wait to have her in my garage
Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys! I will purchase my parts from pelican. Love the concept of everything in one kit like the super everything you need clutch kit. I will most certainly do brake and transmission fluid as well. I might consider doing oil analysis, even though I’ve had mixed results when I was doing them on my airplane. Thanks for the replies
Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: