Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
996 C4 1999 Tiptronic Fluid changes (Should not be this hard)

I can be as OCD as the next Porsche guy. But I try to exercise NOT being OCD sometimes. At least that's the reason I tell myself for why I bought a "Cosmetically challenged" 1999 C4 Tiptronic with almost 100K miles.

Yet the first step, before I even get it home is 100% OCD... Oh it's been sitting for a few years? I guess I'll change all the fluids, Hmmm.. let's go down the rabbit hole of figuring out exactly what fluids do I need to buy?
This should take what? 15-20 minutes? I'll just pop over to pelican catalog and load up the cart. I'm sure I can find the answers immediately.... Bwaa Haaa!!!

Three days later:
Do I even have half of the fluids figured out? Probably not. Not from lack of searching. Please correct any errors below, and thanks for the shared experience.

Oil: 10 Qts minimum - Mobile 1 0-W40 (Or maybe 5-W40?? Gah!!! don't get locked in indecision yet, Richard, this is the easy one....)

Tiptronic ATF: 99 thru 01 are different transmissions from 02 thru 05, and require different fluids. Yet the Porsche fluid PN Pelican lists covers 99-05 inclusively. GAH! Do they use the same fluid or not? PN000-43-207-00 is what pelican says works from 99 thru 05.
C4 Vs C2 doesn't look like makes a difference in the ATF fluid, as long as you stick to the right year of vehicle ATF. Maybe. see above.
Unless someone says different, I'm going to get Porsche ATF 000-43-207-00 at $16 a Qt. 9 Qts plus the filter kit.

Rear Wheel differential: Separate from the ATF, takes 75-90 Wt. No special modifiers in the in the open differential 1 Qt. Yet, How would I know if I have a LSD or not? Is the LSD juice just normal 75-90 wt?

Front Differential: NO data anywhere. I'm guessing it takes the same 75-90 wt as the rear diff. Anecdotally, I think someone said 2 Qts.

Front prop viscous coupling: Is this lubricated by the front Diff oil? I can't assume that's true, after all the rear diff and auto trans don't share.... What fluid does the viscous coupling take?

Antifreeze Pink G-40 3 Gallons, plus 3 gallons of Distilled water.
I'm pretty confident on that one.

Brake fluid. DOT 4 1 qt.

Power steering fluid. no idea yet.

Washer fluid. Ok, that has to be universal.. 7 Qts.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I think I'll leave the original headlight fluid in there.
This is my first toe dip into the water cooled 911s.

Thanks, Richard
Old 02-05-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

As far as i know the Front prop viscous coupling:gets its oil from front diff
Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Katie with Pelican
answered some of my questions:

Porsche ATF for my 99 Tip is PN 000-043-207-00
She said it specifically is listed for 1999 through 2001 models.
NOTE: this contradicts the Pelican tech article that names that fluid as also good for 2002-2005 models.

Differentials Front and back both call for Porsche PN 999-917-546-00 synthetic 75-90W gear oil.

Power steering is 000-043-206-56
Old 02-06-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedavid View Post
As far as i know the Front prop viscous coupling:gets its oil from front diff
911uk.com - Porsche Forum : View topic - The AWD system's Viscous Clutch - replacement.

This thread has the best cutaway pic of the prop shaft Viscous coupling and front Diff. that I've seen, though the title of the pic says its from a 2007 Turbo.

The thread and the shown Orings make it look like the Viscous coupler is sealed, and non serviceable as a internal piece to the prop shaft housing.

Neither the Porsche website Katalog.pdf, nor pelican list a serviceable fluid for the Viscous coupling.

Thanks Richard.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: